PDA

View Full Version : lawnmower blenny is a pig

randomfish
11-30-2009, 03:24 PM
ok my lawnmower has eaten all my algae so i got some seaweed but he wont touch it what do i do :mad2::im a salt newb have had fw 4 years any guidence is helpful thx

Murfman
11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
He will eat it when he gets hungry. He will keep grazing the rock work too.

randomfish
11-30-2009, 03:43 PM
so he will be ok i dont want to starve him

calvin415
11-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Try to get him onto the Nori as soon as you can... Mine did a great job keeping my tank clean and was fat and happy until I started having issues growing algea... He wouldn't touch the Nori and finally gave into starvation instead of eating it.

Try a few different types, and if you have other fish eating it, try adding more in another place so he doesn't have to fight for it. I've had the best of luck wrapping a small rock and securing it with a rubberband for my tangs, but my blenny still never touched it. :(

-Good luck!

randomfish
11-30-2009, 04:01 PM
thx i will try that but his only compitition are the turbo snails its a new set up just at 2 months old so dont have any other fish yet

LBigheadM
11-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Both of my lawnmowers eat spiralina flakes.

Deuce67
11-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Will it eat bryopsis? If so, ill trade you some frags for it lol!

rojo1
11-30-2009, 08:38 PM
MY blenny well even chase down the cyclop-eeze when I feed the tank and will eat it. Oh and he loves the seaweed that I feed my tang.

randomfish
11-30-2009, 08:44 PM
i dont know deuce but he has taken a couple bites of the seaweed (awesome) but dont you think my tank is to new for corals its only 2 months please let me know if i can start adding frags

bandr1002
11-30-2009, 11:10 PM
IMO i would rather put corals in a tank of that age than a lawnmower. from what i have read a lawn mower blenny should be placed after the tank is well established. as for corals, so long as your water parameters check out you should be able to start with some frags. good luck.

randomfish
11-30-2009, 11:23 PM
i had sage at seascapes do a water test for me i have my own test kit but wanted an experts opinion and she said everything was good so far i have 6 green fuzzy mushrooms 1 aptasia and a piece of sponge and 1 of my shrooms just split and everything looks great so far

notchback5.0
12-02-2009, 02:52 PM
my lawnmower would not eat anything but algae on the rocks. i tried sea weed, formula 2 for algae eaters, nori, and a few other things.. he never did eat anything other than algae, and eventually died.... good luck

randomfish
12-02-2009, 06:18 PM
i have been putting a little piece of seaweed in the tank at night as i turn my lights off and in the morning its gone and he s not restless so i think he is eating hopefully

JLAURENCE32
12-03-2009, 10:39 AM
my lawnmower would not eat anything but algae on the rocks. i tried sea weed, formula 2 for algae eaters, nori, and a few other things.. he never did eat anything other than algae, and eventually died.... good luck

Same with me.

rojo1
12-03-2009, 07:48 PM
i had sage at seascapes do a water test for me i have my own test kit but wanted an experts opinion and she said everything was good so far i have 6 green fuzzy mushrooms 1 aptasia and a piece of sponge and 1 of my shrooms just split and everything looks great so far

Thats good to hear the fuzzy I gave you are going good. IMO the blenny will eat or he'lll starve, I think it's a rough life on the other side of the glass, somedays

randomfish
12-03-2009, 07:57 PM
hey whats going on rojo the shrooms are awsome thx there all open and one split into 2 my blenny started eating the seaweed finally i was worried 4 a while