PDA

View Full Version : Favia not looking right?

Courtney
11-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Alright I got this from Brent and it looked the same in his tank but after being in my tank for almost a month now I am not sure it is supposed to look this way. No one commented on it yesterday so I want to assume it is fine but it doesnt look anything like the pics of Favia I can find online. I have tried placing it high and low in my tank to see if it would do better somewhere else but no change. The pics of favia I find online have a noticable difference to mine as they look like a cup where mine is hard. Best way I can describe it. Any tips?

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/morgan0661/100_1517.jpg

Murfman
11-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Looks like my favia.

Courtney
11-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Is it true it can sting things? I mean I never notice anything coming out of it that could sting other corals day or night.

68sting
11-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Lights make a big difference in coral colors. Bulb choice, type of lighting and wattage can make the same coral look different. Nothing to worry about. When you see colors you like ask what combination the person is using. Thats what I did. I'm copying Huhhh lights because I really liked his colors.

Courtney
11-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Its not necassarily the colors that have me curious but the shape. The pictures I pull up are similar to this one (http://www.reeffarmers.com/limited_dragonsoul_colony.jpg) where you can see there is a big difference in depth from the red to green unlike mine which appears to be more of a flat surface with little ridges...

LBigheadM
11-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Are you feeding the coral at night?

Courtney
11-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Honestly....didnt think i had to give it anything and was never told different. Great so i am starving it. Proof I am a newbie. Ok next question....what do you feed them? As all the research online I have done about them nothing ever said so

Murfman
11-29-2009, 06:54 PM
mysis shrimp, at night. I don't target feed mine, I let the tank feed them. Look at it, during the night with a flash light. See if it extends feeders in the water column.

Courtney
11-29-2009, 06:57 PM
I will have to do that Paul. You are always right on the ball with anything I need. Will check them out tonight and if need be start throwing some shrimp in there.

Murfman
11-29-2009, 07:01 PM
You can use a turkey baster to direct feed them.

Reefkoi
11-29-2009, 08:17 PM
I think when you say the ones you see online look like a cup its because they are happy and the tissue is filled up with water so it has dimension to it.
Thats a pretty freshly cut frag, give it a few weeks or so and it will come around.

liriel
11-29-2009, 09:29 PM
If you add things like cyclopese or phytoplankton the corals will love it. Most of them live off of fish waste and excess food, but with your small population they might not have enough yet. There are all kinds of frozen and powdered coral foods that you can add a small amount of either during the day or at night. Phyto is a sure-fire one until you get more fish, etc.

Alcedok9
11-30-2009, 03:39 PM
we grow our own phyto. We can give you a liter if you want to drive down to Widefield. It runs about $40 for a quart of DTs at the lfs.. so would be worth the gas LMK:icon_smile:

PolypsRock
01-01-2010, 11:41 PM
My favia is so bad you can see it's skeleton