PDA

View Full Version : Need help wiring some lights

68sting
11-15-2009, 08:32 PM
I have a 250wt ballast that I'm trying to wire up to the socket. It has a quick connect plug with 6 wires. The black and red are for the socket. A white wire is connected to another white wire that goes into a coil looking thing that has numerous white wires. Some of those wires aren't hooked up to anything. I'm not sure what to do with this white wire. The rest of the wires are grounded out.

My second question involves wire length. I have a vho ballast (2-6ft bulbs) that would be about 16ft away from the bulbs. The quick connect is only 9ft. Can I extend this seven more feet? It looks to be 14ga.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk225/68sting/p1020046.jpg

mrliriel
11-15-2009, 08:44 PM
The "coil" looking thing is a transformer. Each of the white wires comming out are taps. It is tapped depending on the source voltage and desired output. So only one white wire comming from that transformer should be used the rest should be capped off. What are the Black and red wires tied to? The starter? Sounds like you have a ballast for two lamps.

mrliriel
11-15-2009, 08:52 PM
On your second qestion, legally no you can't extend the wires, however it really depends on how much tolerance the manufacture gave when producing the unit. If the unit is solidly produced it will light the lamps just fine, if its specs are over stated it may not fire the lamps or it may light them more dimly. The only way to know is to try and find out. I wouldn't worry about it too much it will probibly work just fine if you extend the wires 7'.

68sting
11-15-2009, 08:53 PM
The red wire goes to the round capacitor looking thing. The black wire is wire nuted together with a wire from the on/off switch and one of the white wires from the transformer.

mrliriel
11-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Was there a wiring diagram with this unit?

mrliriel
11-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Ok 99% of the time the White wire and the Red wire goes to the lamp. I don't know why they would have the black wire in there with the quick disconnect unless they wanted to give you the option of running a 120V fan off it. But when you get to the lamp end you can always cap off any unused wires, it would be a good idea to connect one of the wires going to Green or ground to a metal part of the reflector or housing if there is a spot to run a screw in.

68sting
11-15-2009, 10:18 PM
No wiring diagram. Its a hamilton set up with a vho ballast along side of a metal halide ballast. It has a second mh ballast that I could compare it to I guess. The vho ballast is an Advanced 490-xlh-tc-p. Thanks for the help.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk225/68sting/p1020054.jpg

mrliriel
11-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Advanced ballasts are good ballasts, as long as it is not worn out. Is this a new setup or used?

68sting
11-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Used. Do the end caps need to be mounted on a single piece of metal to properly gound them? And finally do all the wires running to the bulbs need to be the same length?

mrliriel
11-16-2009, 08:00 PM
No the wires do not need to be equal lenghts. If your endcaps are mounted on plastic then there is no need to worry about grounding them. Just do it if the option is avalible.

68sting
11-17-2009, 10:47 PM
So I rewired ballast number 1 using ballast number 2 as the template and it works great. Not sure if these can be wired multiple ways or if someone didn't know what they were doing.

I also got the vho bulbs up and going today.

Thanks for the help.