PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers

Dreamer
08-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Ok so I am in the process of getting a larger skimmer. Can anyone help me get a clue as to the advantage of a cone skimmer v standard skimmer. I am looking at 6 options at the moment

MRC MR4 Skimmer Base is broken and new one probably will need to be made though he says it should be fixable as it is. Brand new no pumps $100

Reeflo 200 Protein Skimmer Used but decent condition appr $300 to $350

MR-3R and I have a Gen-X PCX-55HP that goes with it for the recirculating part, and a mag 7 looks brand new. He is asking for best offer.

New Lifereef vs3-36 with little giant pump, rated for 400 gallons $300

My Reef Creations MR6R skimmer that I am looking to sell. It comes with a mag 12 feed pump and a sequence 3200 recuirculating pump $600 All pumping required is included. Said he might go down to $550

GS2 Cone Protein Skimmer from Grey Seas Aquatics Aquarium New from GSA and includes shipping but not the pumps $279

NEW Aqua Euro Classic Protein Skimmer 400 $389

Please help me wade through all this. Likes , dislike, suggestions are all highly sought.

Be Safe
Mark

Murfman
08-19-2009, 01:18 PM
I think that the cones cause more of a herding of the bubbles and thus you can use a smaller sized skimmer and get the same performance as a bigger sized one.

I had a Lifereef on my 125 and it performed well. As far as the "never having to clean the venturi" BS. I had a snail shell sucked up and it blocked the venturi. I had to use a drill bit to clean it.

The Aqua Euro I like because it has a hole in the bottom chamber so you can adjust it till water comes out and leave it alone. It sets the water level every time.

racer69
08-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I just got a new Warner Marine that I am going to put on my frag system...we will see how it does.

Murfman
08-20-2009, 01:54 AM
just saw the VS3 with extension, that thing is a monster!!!! http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1686549

Powerman
08-20-2009, 10:35 AM
I like my new Warner Marine cone. I don't feel cones are a leap in technology, just a advancement of the design. Bubble plates were new at one time now just about every design has them. My BK Mini 160 was a good skimmer, but was quite turbulent. The new cone is quite cool just watching a stack of bubbles moving up.

To say it is better than the 160 is not fair.The K2 is bigger, so not a fair fight. I does produce a very stable quiet foam head though. Right now they are still a novelty, but prices are dropping fast.