PDA

View Full Version : Halide Glass Exploded

johnathan
07-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Well I got home today and my UV metal halide glass decided to explode into the tank. The tank is all good and from what I can see everything is doing well. My question is where do I get a replacement piece of glass? How long will the corals be OK with out halide lights? There are a couble T5 bulbs in it. It's an aqua medic ocean light fixture. I've searched online with no luck. Any advice is helpful.

fishzilla
07-29-2009, 10:20 PM
hit the local glass shop you should be able to get a replacement tomorrow just know what size you need cut and the thickness and life will be good

johnathan
07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Does it need to be any specific type or will any glass protect against the UV.

notchback5.0
07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
any local glass shop should be able to help you. Make sure the glass you get is tempered.

johnathan
07-29-2009, 10:24 PM
OK thanks. A trip to the glass shop tomorrow it is!

notchback5.0
07-29-2009, 10:26 PM
I have been told that all glass works as a UV shield, but a glass store could answer that for sure.. your corals will be fine without halides..

mrliriel
07-30-2009, 10:06 AM
It must be tempered please do not put an un-tempered peice of glass back in there.

johnathan
07-30-2009, 07:02 PM
I was suprised to see the original glass was not tempered, at least I think it was original. Trust me, after a couple of hours of fishing glass from the display it will be tempered.

jonthefb
07-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Regular glass will filter out UVA and UVB light but not C. Please be sure that you get a UV blocking piece of glass to replace yours with. A lot of times glass shops will sell it as art quality, or museum quality glass so as to block out UVC rays and prevent damage to important works of art, etc. If you do not replace the lens with UVC blocking glass and you are using an HQI metal halide, you risk severely damaging your livestock both fish and corals~!
Cheers~!
Jon

JLAURENCE32
07-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Was the bulb still on without the glass or did it blow that out too?

johnathan
07-31-2009, 03:33 PM
To my surprise the bulb was still on. It does't appear to have damaged any livestock at this point. I put in the new piece of glass today and in less than 5 minutes it cracked. I'm not sure why. I guess I will need to go back and get another piece. Any recommendations on what glass shop would have this special UVC blocking glass in stock?

patrick1234
07-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Only way your braking the glass is heat really really really HOT or water+heat is water some how geting on the glass?

johnathan
07-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Initially it was from water, I have since then adjusted the powerheads. This second time I think the glass may have been too thin for the heat of the bulb. I called aqua medic and they are sending me out a new piece of glass. If it breaks again then I have no idea.

jonthefb
07-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Am I assuming correctly that this was an HQI fixture? I am not aware of any ocean lights that had mogul based bulbs, but I was just wanting to verify. Mogul based lamps do not require extra uv shielding, only HQI bulbs

johnathan
08-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes, you are correct in your assumption, they are HQI lamps. Thanks for everyone's expertise on this.