PDA

View Full Version : Sun Coral Owners

bandr1002
07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Is it ok to place sun coral under direct light in the middle of a 75 gallon tank? I am running 6@54 Watt Tek t-5... Will this hurt it?

Kirblit
07-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Should be fine, the light is only bad when it's really intense or the coral starts to grow algae. Start it out at the bottom and then move it around to see how it reacts or if it starts to grow any algae. Just watch it, but it should be just fine.

bandr1002
07-27-2009, 07:40 PM
i got it from todds store and it was on the sand under halides. that being the case i should not really need to start it on the substrate because it is already acclimated at that level is this correct?

THEJRC
07-27-2009, 08:26 PM
acclimation happens rather fast and may not be needed at all with the amount of light you have. put it where you want it and monitor for the first week or so and if it shows sign of shock then move it.

Just because they are non photosynthetic does not mean they are light sensitive in the least. And much like stated above the biggest killer is algal growth on and around the coral (hence preferences toward higher flow with all tubastrea rather than just the black sun coral).

bandr1002
07-27-2009, 09:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well, i have had it for about three hours in the tank and all of the heads are wide open, sprayed food around it and not a few minutes later it was wide open, so i will be posting pics soon, and thanks for the great advice.

btw. i thought that the light would cause tissue damage to the coral. is this not true?

THEJRC
07-27-2009, 10:55 PM
light will if the coral hasnt acclimated or isnt getting the proper nutrient uptake, it's kinda a chemistry/biology thing. Much like human pigmentation and skin makeup will change over time with UV variances (regional pigmentation is a great example) corals will do much the same. There are many accounts of Tubastrea in high light situations, the norm is that they are around caves and caverns in areas of moderate to high flow, to understand this you have to look at the nature of plankton and mobility.

Naturally the planktons rise at night as the cooler water temperature brings them up as well as the lower likelyhood of natural predation, this is why the tubastrea open at night. Because the Tubastrea are non motile (i.e. do not move) they tend to thrive in areas of higher flow and eddie currents (caves, etc.). These currents bring more food sources to the coral.

Unlike photosynthetic corals, light itself plays very little role in the life of tubastrea, instead the ability to catch food sources and maintain a skeleton free of "clinging parasites" such as macroalgaes defines the survivability of the coral. There are many different trace items a coral needs to develop protection from UVA and UVB rays however most of these are common even in our micro-habitats we call reef tanks (iodine for instance).

Always important to realize that corals are animals just like humans and snakes (what have you).... Adaptation is written into the core capabilities of such creatures, just as one acclimates over time to the higher altitude of Colorado vs. California, Tubastrea can so too adapt to higher light concentrations, so long as the core requirements are being met and the adaptation curve is not too steep (you wouldnt run up the peak if you lived at sea level without ill effect).

bandr1002
07-27-2009, 11:11 PM
after four hours in the tank!!!! :)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/bandr1002/100_1177.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/bandr1002/100_1187.jpg

bandr1002
07-27-2009, 11:14 PM
as it turns out, i found the perfect spot for it! very stoked.

thanks for the very informative responses THEJRC!

THEJRC
07-27-2009, 11:19 PM
he he I love things I have to feed.... it's a copepodgeek thing!

gorgeous colony you have there!!! Feed with frozen brine (occasionally soaked in an amino such as brightwells or whatever your pleasure is). If you have the time, Pick up some sally's krill (frozen blocks) and pull them in halves with your fingers, hand feed a few to the polyps.... leave pumps off for about an hour for digestion and remove any uneaten chunks. It's a total hoot to watch them consume the krill!!

Even cooler is if you shut pumps off with lights on, 5 min later blast a little food at them, wait till they open, then feed... within a few shots of that they'll open up at pumps off rather than lights off. If there were a "smart" coral... this would be it.

but then again I'm sorta a fanatic

jonthefb
07-28-2009, 08:53 AM
that is a beaut for a sun coral colony! Congrats on the healthy score!