PDA

View Full Version : Increase our google hits!

Gomojoe
06-19-2009, 12:01 AM
When I first started looking for a local club the only thing my searches could find is the MASC site. It wasn't until I went and got some corals from Jgonzz(From Greeley) and he told me about SCMAS, that I found my local club! Anyway, I challenge any of you to use google, which is the most used search engine, to try and have the SCMAS site pop up as a link on the first few pages. It's not going to happen, unless you use a word like aquarist, which the standard hobbiest is probably not going to use.

Anyway, I believe the issue with our homepage is the fact that a majority of the sponsors are graphical links. I believe that what google does is look for key words on a homepage, and if your keywords correspond to a certain subject it will then categorize you as such. So with most of our sponsors being graphical, and no real keywords on our page as actual text, google just doesn't register.

Long story, short! I think we need to tweak our homepage and what ever else, so that we can at least be a first page google search for searches such as:

-Colorado Reef Club
-Colorado Saltwater Aquarium Club
-Colorado Springs Reef Club
-Reef Colorado
-Reef Society Colorado
-Marine Colorado
-etc....

You can try each of these and SCMAS isn't on the first page of any of them. The closest hit is "Marine Colorado" which has us on the second page.

I think we have the best club in all of Colorado, if not the Midwest area, but no one can find us. I just think some minor tweaks could help.

If I sound aggressive and on a rant:rant:, I'm not. I would really just like to hear if anyone has any ideas on how to make us more visible! I think it is a real shame when a hobbiest moves to southern Colorado and can't find our club! I am not an expert by any means, but I believe this is a large part of the issue of people knowing or finding advanced hobbiest in the area(that have been here for a while) that aren't members!

Plus I think this would also have a huge benefit on our local coral farmers! I mean I went all the way to Greeley to Jgonzz's house to get corals when we have so many awesome coral farmers right here that, could be easily identified if people would just happen upon our site!

Sorry.....Rant over!:rant:

Keep in mind I am not suggesting that the content of our homepage sucks, just that there is maybe a few cosmetic touches that we could make that would increase our web presence!

-David

xsocali
06-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Thats a good point that you made there David and the club should look into that.

Huhhhhh
06-19-2009, 08:16 AM
That is a great idea, I'm all for getting our name out there.

What if every member entered in SCMAS into google as many times as they can every day. Would the increase in hits help out any?

Gomojoe
06-19-2009, 08:41 AM
I cant see our sites source code from my phone to see if its already there, but we should have a "keywords" meta tag in our header of our source code. It should look like this:

<meta name="keywords" content="reef, aquarium, colorado springs, pueblo, castle rock, saltwater, coral, hobbiest, aqaurist, marine" />

this code is what search engines look for and should hopefully, get us hit if people do a search for any of those keywords.

-David

LDogg
06-19-2009, 08:44 AM
they are there in several places, and I have google webmaster tools to check the hits on this page. I will have to add some more keywords.

LDogg
06-19-2009, 08:45 AM
google crawls the entire site, not just the home page btw.

LDogg
06-19-2009, 08:51 AM
looking at googles webmaster tools I can see the top querys and hits for our site, and also what key words it pulls.... I have an idea. :) give me 10 minutes.

LDogg
06-19-2009, 09:08 AM
check the homepage now.

Gomojoe
06-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Nice! keyword laden header larry!

Propagation is misspelled though.:piggy:

LDogg
06-19-2009, 09:11 AM
yeah yeah. its a work in progress.... :P

here's the meta keywords for the site.

Colorado,Colorado Reef,Southern Colorado,Colorado Springs,Reef Tank,Aquarium,Fish,Marine,Salt Water,Saltwater,Club,ReefCentral,Reefstock

LDogg
06-19-2009, 09:12 AM
course I read this on the meta keywords....

Meta Keywords are used by some search engines to determine what your pages are about and to rank them. Other search engines such as Google do not take keywords into account.

LDogg
06-19-2009, 09:17 AM
how about now.... :biggrinjester:

Gomojoe
06-19-2009, 09:18 AM
I wonder what we can do then to increase our hits on Google? The MASC site comes up on the first page with pretty much any of the colorado related searches. Larry do you see anything in their source code that might be doing that?

-David

LDogg
06-19-2009, 09:34 AM
google doesn't use meta keywords, I thought they did. lets see what happens by next monday with the welcome block. their spiders should be crawling the site soon i think.

mrliriel
06-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Google still checks meta tags and it also checks img text so if you don't have any text attached to the sponsors you may consider doing that.

Murfman
06-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Isn't there a fee we can pay to GoDaddy that bumps us up to the top for web searches?

LDogg
06-19-2009, 10:44 AM
no, they offer google webmaster tools, which we have setup.

Reefkoi
06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Isn't there a few we can pay to GoDaddy that bumps us up to the top for web searches?

is this a typo? you mean a "fee" we can pay?

I don't see the reason to pay a monthly fee for hits, but maybe you could explain better what you are after :)

C

Murfman
06-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Chris, there are sites that you can join where you pay a fee and they "move" you up in search results. After doing some research on these sites, it seems a lot of them are just after your money. They do what David suggested and Larry did, for a fee. We can pay to advertise the site though. That will put our links on the pages when people do a search. Our site will come up and then they can link to us from there. Eventually we will get to the top few pages.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/557736.html

http://performancing.com/promotion/3-ways-to-immediately-increase-search-engine-traffic

Reefkoi
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Right I know all about them, I have a few websites myself ;) what I'm wondering is why you think we should pay? We aren't selling anything..........thats where I'm having a hard time trying to justify it, but heck I guess it could be a valid point I just want to hear your reasons.

C

Murfman
06-19-2009, 11:44 AM
I could care less if we pay or not. Peeps want to increase web hits, advertising is one way to do it. We pay for other thinks like logos, laptops, banners, supplies, and dinners, why not pay a small fee to make us more visible?

Gomojoe
06-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Larry how often does the google tool say that the googlebot scans us? It would be nice to do a before and after query to see how well the changes worked!

-David

Reefkoi
06-19-2009, 12:48 PM
I could care less if we pay or not. Peeps want to increase web hits, advertising is one way to do it. We pay for other thinks like logos, laptops, banners, supplies, and dinners, why not pay a small fee to make us more visible?

I can see you are in the mood to fight so I will drop it.

C

Murfman
06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Not in any mood, just the way I feel. If we want to be more visible then we pay to advertise. If we don't then we don't.

LDogg
06-19-2009, 02:13 PM
try googling colorado reef club now. does a reefkeeping mag article about SCMAS show up on the first page?

Reefkoi
06-19-2009, 02:16 PM
thats not what I'm talking about Paul, your other comments are a very obvious jab at the boards spending, something which I have not been recently involved in (or may have depending on how far back you are going with the overspending allegations) and if you are denying that you have a problem with it and you weren't throwing a jab then I guess we have nothing further to discuss. I will however stand by and defend with you any financial decision I've ever made with the club, things like "dinners" were paid out of my pocket for several sponsors/speakers e.t.c. The Christmas party dinner was paid for with club funds and I don't recall one single person debating it (I even recall that I had stated in the chrsitmas party thread that if anyone had a problem with the spending we'd consider alternatives)
Now the last thing I can think of is the party all the fragstock volunteers had at buca de beppo after the frag swap at Joes.............we all got a free dinner for our efforts......was that wrong in your eyes Paul??
C

Deuce67
06-19-2009, 02:17 PM
try googling colorado reef club now. does a reefkeeping mag article about SCMAS show up on the first page?

On the second page but not the first. Nothing about SCMAS on the first. MASC got 2 hits.

Murfman
06-19-2009, 02:23 PM
thats not what I'm talking about Paul, your other comments are a very obvious jab at the boards spending, something which I have not been recently involved in (or may have depending on how far back you are going with the overspending allegations) and if you are denying that you have a problem with it and you weren't throwing a jab then I guess we have nothing further to discuss. I will however stand by and defend with you any financial decision I've ever made with the club, things like "dinners" were paid out of my pocket for several sponsors/speakers e.t.c. The Christmas party dinner was paid for with club funds and I don't recall one single person debating it (I even recall that I had stated in the chrsitmas party thread that if anyone had a problem with the spending we'd consider alternatives)
Now the last thing I can think of is the party all the fragstock volunteers had at buca de beppo after the frag swap at Joes.............we all got a free dinner for our efforts......was that wrong in your eyes Paul??
C

I am not criticizing the spending, for the most part all of it has been justified. My point was that we are willing to spend $$ for those things, why not spend for advertising, if we want to get more hits on our site? That is all. I think it is great that the club spent $$ on the two Christmas parties, to give back to its members. Even though I was unable to attend the last one it is great to see the club giving back to its members.

Since you opened up the door here, I do feel that the by laws need to be rewritten to have a membership vote on the purchase of items over a certain dollar amount. The money is the club's money and I feel we should have a say in how it is going to be spent. This is in reference to the laptop that was just purchased. The general membership had no knowledge of this purchase, until it showed up on the monthly balance sheet for March. Right now it only takes the the board to approve the purchase. JMHO though.

If the board feels that I am out of line here, feel free to edit my post and remove the offending portion.

mrliriel
06-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I think everyone is a tad on edge today. Lets just focus on moving the hobby forward. Dispite any flaws we still have the best most functional club out there. Lets all just have a drink and mellow out before the festivities tomorrow.

LDogg
06-19-2009, 02:36 PM
ok, just wondering. I moved it up, and wasn't sure if it would hit for everyone. once the spiders crawl the new homepage lets see where we are on monday.

Murfman
06-19-2009, 02:37 PM
I think everyone is a tad on edge today. Lets just focus on moving the hobby forward. Dispite any flaws we still have the best most functional club out there. Lets all just have a drink and mellow out before the festivities tomorrow.

Sounds like a great idea but I have to go to work in a few hours. I wish I could make it to Kirby's meeting but I will be sleeping and then working another 12 hours so....... have a drink for me, you to C!!!!:drool5:

Gomojoe
06-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Larry, does it take that long for their spiders to get to our site? what if we go to the google index page and enter our url? It say that they scan that list first before there software automatically does it.

-David

Huhhhhh
06-19-2009, 02:59 PM
The laptop was discussed between board members when the last tax guy raked us over the coals for not having our **** together. We decided it was best to purchase a cheap laptop to keep track of our finances to make the whole tax thing easier. It can also serve us at our frag events so members will not have to bring their personal computers.

Currently the Bylaws state

Article V. Board of Directors
V.7. The Board shall have full power to conduct, manage, and direct the business and affairs of the Society. All powers of the Society are hereby granted to and vested in the Board.

If we want to change ArticleV -V7 then Article VI.1 needs to take place.

Article VI. BYLAWS
VI.1. These bylaws shall be amended, repealed, or new bylaws adopted, by a two-thirds (2/3) vote by the majority of the Members of the SCMAS and a three to two (3-2) vote by the Board of Directors at any general or special meeting. Such proposed amendment, repeal or new bylaw, or a summary thereof, shall be set forth in any notice of such meeting, whether general or special, or posted online for a minimum of 14 days before the voting is scheduled to take place.

Gomojoe
06-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Larry, on googles webmaster page they recommend we have a good robot.txt file. They point you to http://www.robotstxt.org/faq.html to learn about how to do it. Have we ever messed with or have this file? It says the spiders will look for this file first and if its there it tells the robot how to scan your site.

-David

Reefkoi
06-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Thats all fine and well Paul, I'd rather see things constructively suggested though, maybe you've contacted the president about the laptop I don't know but I just get a little sideways when I see jabs thrown.........I feel the need to counter ;)

Anway, no drinking for me tomorrow, but I will however smoke a cigar for ya!

C

Murfman
06-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks buddy. No I haven't talked to Todd about I just found out about by reading though the finance statements. Remember, I WAS the 1st treasurer. As stated before I don't have any issues but I think communication is the key. Tim thanks for the clarification on why it was needed.

racer69
06-19-2009, 07:02 PM
I also agree that communication is the key, but I am not going to go to the membership for every single thing that needs to be decided, that is what the board is for. That is also the reason that the financial report is posted every month. If there is ever anything on the report that anyone has any questions about, they should contact one of the board members. If they don't know who the board members are, they should be listed under their screen names or just ask openly and you will surely get a response.

JLAURENCE32
06-19-2009, 08:18 PM
yeah yeah. its a work in progress.... :P

here's the meta keywords for the site.

Colorado,Colorado Reef,Southern Colorado,Colorado Springs,Reef Tank,Aquarium,Fish,Marine,Salt Water,Saltwater,Club,ReefCentral,Reefstock

I found this site by looking for cheap colorado 'frags' to get my tank started. I think that's a keyword you might want to add.

LDogg
06-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Well let me just say this. This is the fourth time I have written this post. I deleted the other 3 because I don't think discussing club business in the open forums is appropriate.

Gomojoe
06-19-2009, 10:46 PM
To get back on track for this thread, and I know Larry is dedicated to the cause. I just couldn't find our site via my normal queries and I think we should work on that. I very much appreciate that Larry attacked the cause as soon as he saw this post and I want to let him know, that while my experience with web development is limited I am more than willing to help. As I think we all are.

With that said, I really don't know what has been invested into the cause and don't want to be a thorn in the process, so Larry, please let us know when advice is not warranted! You clearly are dedicated to the same cause and I don't want to hinder you in any way! Thank you!

-David

LDogg
06-23-2009, 08:43 AM
google colorado reef club now..... :D

btw we are not using that file david, I will have to play around with it.

Deuce67
06-23-2009, 08:48 AM
google colorado reef club now..... :D

btw we are not using that file david, I will have to play around with it.

Nothing on the first page. A hit on the second.

LDogg
06-23-2009, 08:51 AM
WTF? it shows up at the top for me.... hmm. ok let me continue looking at it.

Huhhhhh
06-23-2009, 09:09 AM
I got it on the bottom of the first page.

Gomojoe
06-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Yep, bottom of the first page so thats better. It's still below two MASC hits though. It looks like the increase in ranking was the paragraph so right on Larry!

LDogg
06-23-2009, 09:40 AM
yeah, I see that. try clicking through it. everyone search and then click through several times... I think that will help promote it too.

Murfman
06-23-2009, 09:49 AM
MASC is 1st in Bing. We did have two hits on page one of bing though, both were from reef2reef though.

LDogg
06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
our site is on page 3. need to figure out what their deal is.

Murfman
06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
http://digitizor.com/2009/06/03/submit-your-website-to-bing/

grand137
06-23-2009, 10:35 AM
2 cents here

Are people looking for clubs or "forums"? I didn't notice the keyword "forum" in there. Maybe I missed it, if not, I would suggest adding it and some semblence of the words "online discussion". Most new to the hobby are looking to forums for advice, when they find the site they will they find that SCMAS is also a club dedicated to the hobby

LDogg
06-23-2009, 03:22 PM
I signed up for webmaster tools with bing.

Deuce67
06-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Moving up on google. 1st page, very bottom. And its the actual SCMAS site and not a link from another site.

LDogg
06-23-2009, 03:41 PM
i think we need to keep the click throughs up on those searches and it will help us get higher... i am working on colorado reef now. it was several pages like 5 or 6 back.