PDA

View Full Version : Additional air into skimmer

AGGJSW
02-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Has anyone forced more air into their skimmer (e.g. air pump)?

Deuce67
02-16-2009, 02:53 PM
It doesnt make a difference. Skimmer pump will choke out if too much air is pushed thru it. I tried it a few years back.

Murfman
02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
The bubbles forced by the air pump break down the bubble column and, like Russ said, it chokes out the skimmer.

AGGJSW
02-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Would it be beneficial to 'push it to the limit" before you are choking out the skimmer?

mrliriel
02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Trying to chop up the air works better IMO. You want more bubble surface to water ratio and smaller bubbles are the way to go rather than adding more larger ones. Have you put a mesh mod on your skimmer pump impeller yet?

AGGJSW
02-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Trying to chop up the air works better IMO. You want more bubble surface to water ratio and smaller bubbles are the way to go rather than adding more larger ones. Have you put a mesh mod on your skimmer pump impeller yet?

Yes. I was just thinking that it more air was being pushed thru.....the better. I was able to put 4 layers of mesh on the impeller. Now I'm trying to dial in the Gate Valve Mod. I gave up yesterday on that, but will continue this evening. It works then all of a sudden it goes crazy and fills the skimmate collection cup up. Right now it is working but the valve is wide open; so why have the valve???!!!!?!?:banghead:

mrliriel
02-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Are you having some kind of problem that is making you want to mod your skimmer?

The gate valve is to increase contact time, lower the rate of water flow, and raise the water level in the skimmer body. I would only make real small adjustments to it a day at a time until you get it where you want.

When the collection cup fills real fast is it just full of water or was it green?

AGGJSW
02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Are you having some kind of problem that is making you want to mod your skimmer?

The gate valve is to increase contact time, lower the rate of water flow, and raise the water level in the skimmer body. I would only make real small adjustments to it a day at a time until you get it where you want.

When the collection cup fills real fast is it just full of water or was it green?

It is full of water. I watch it fill to the top in a matter of seconds, like I put my finger over the air intake. This morning I got up and had about 1" of light green skimmate in the collection cup. I'll see what it looks like tonight. I know I've got a lot of tweeking to do.

Murfman
02-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Greg, is your water level changing in the sump? Like Jesse said, make small adjustments at a time till it is dialed in. If the water level changes, it will change the amount of back pressure on the outlet, raising the level in the skimmer body, thus overflowing the cup.

Green Wrasse
02-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Or maybe the venturi is plugged I have to clean mine about 1 a week

AGGJSW
02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Greg, is your water level changing in the sump? Like Jesse said, make small adjustments at a time till it is dialed in. If the water level changes, it will change the amount of back pressure on the outlet, raising the level in the skimmer body, thus overflowing the cup.

Nope, water level remains constant.

AGGJSW
02-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Or maybe the venturi is plugged I have to clean mine about 1 a week

I thought of that too but didn't see any obstruction. I really feel it has to to with the depth of my water and the height of the output (formerly, the gray riser).

Jiggyfly
02-18-2009, 09:13 PM
try pouring hot RO water down the tube while it is running.

AGGJSW
02-18-2009, 10:37 PM
try pouring hot RO water down the tube while it is running.

Good idea. I'll do that.