PDA

View Full Version : why do i need a big skimmer?

nesto719
02-11-2009, 06:35 PM
why do i need a big skimmer?
hello all, i have a 120 gallon with a 30 gal sump at 7 inches of water in the sump. i have a asm g1, and it is skimming well. my load is not to heavy now . i have 2 small clowns 1 small yellow tang 1 small damsel. a few nice size torches and frogspawns. decent size candy cane. few sps. water levels seem fine nitrates at 10ppm others at zero. i do plan for alot more sps and fish . if i get too big a skimmer i was told that it will strip all the bad out the water , but also the good stuff like trace elements. is this true i like the msx skimmers and would prefer the msx 160 , but people say i need to go bigger. is this necessary?

Sneezy
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
my understanding is for pristine water it is best to over skim. (for keeping sps)

but if you are keeping only softies and the likes they dont like the water as clean so skimming shouldnt be as active (should still keep it to export any excess but no need for over skimming)

Sneezy
02-11-2009, 06:42 PM
as far as i know skimming only takes out the bad stuff form the water but i might be wrong here.

i dont think it strips out the good stuff

nesto719
02-11-2009, 07:35 PM
yeah i was told from three different people now that if you over skim you take out trace elements. who knows. i am definantly more concerned with sps. softies dont interest me. i also do like zoo's and lps, but like i said i want a bad *** primarily sps with about 10 fish or so. i am gonna dump the g-1 i am just baddeling whether to get the msx 160 or the 250. i know the load on my tank is not heavy yet if my g-1 is doing its job. i dont know just frustrated :banghead:

mrliriel
02-11-2009, 07:52 PM
You are going to pull out some of the good stuff when you skim it is just un-avoidable. I think the benifit far out weighs the slight mineral loss. If you are doing weekly water changes the loss should be so small that it will not matter. With skimmers you should run the biggest you can afford because it will save you some good headache down the road. With proper water changing habits your tank will not be nutrient deprived. Unless you buy a Volcano with a 90G body to skim your 120 then you might have issues but it is really hard to overskim.

Sneezy
02-11-2009, 08:22 PM
holy poo those volcano skimmers are big

mrliriel
02-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeh they are sick. Their biggest model is over 6' tall with a 18" diameter chamber. The TOTM guy on RC says he pulls 2G of skim a day out of his tank.

calvin415
02-11-2009, 09:18 PM
I heard a lot of people with the Volcanos say they are under powered... A Dart is just not enough for a skimmer that large. They put a Dart on the Orca which is a fraction of the size, you do the math.

As for the OP's question, IMO there is no such thing is overskimming. Agree or disagree, just take a look at everyone's gorgeous SPS tanks and ask them what they use as a skimmer? They skim like hell!

Sneezy
02-11-2009, 09:21 PM
i guess my meaning of over skimming was simply using a bigger skimmer then what is rated for your tank size (but i agree that if you are running a tank that needs to be super clean the bigger the better)

as in other hobbies by the best you can with what you have to spend

scooby
02-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I run a mini-g on a 55g.

AGGJSW
02-11-2009, 09:53 PM
I heard a lot of people with the Volcanos say they are under powered... A Dart is just not enough for a skimmer that large. They put a Dart on the Orca which is a fraction of the size, you do the math.

As for the OP's question, IMO there is no such thing is overskimming. Agree or disagree, just take a look at everyone's gorgeous SPS tanks and ask them what they use as a skimmer? They skim like hell!

So does over skimming means a lot of skimmate or thick skimmate.

mrliriel
02-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Over skimming is the practice of putting a massive skimmer on a tank that is way smaller than it was rated for. I think there is a point where you are wasting your money. It rarely happens but there are cases. I don't think I have ever seen a tank that has too much skimmer on it but I would venture to say that once you have a skimmer that is so large that its internal volume is higher than your tank volume, then you are probibly over sized.

I don't know anything about the Orca, but every Volcano I have ever seen was packed solid with white foam from bottom to top. Honestly, there is never a point where I think contact time hurts a skimmer, and a massive skimmer body helps afford more contact time. Yes there are plenty of other ways to afford more contact time like low flow recerc skimmers, but obviously the designer of the Volcano has chosen to go with a high internal volume. I will never own a Volcano so I guess it is moot to argue the point.

Murfman
02-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Nesto

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1581132

http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3

Sneezy
02-22-2009, 12:18 PM
murf your links arent working

Murfman
02-22-2009, 12:23 PM
fixed