PDA

View Full Version : msx 200 skimmer , ati bubblemaster 200, asm g2 or g-3?

nesto719
02-05-2009, 01:09 AM
well fellas i have got it down to the final three . there is the msx 200 , ati bubblemaster 200 or the asm g-2 or g-3. my sump only has 7 inches of water so if i go with the msx i need to raise my baffles a couple inches, with the ati they recomend 6-7 inches and the asm im not sure of. anyways which skimmer is gonna be best for me. i also heard that to make the msx really shine you have to mod the mesh wheel and add gate valves . is this worth it? anyway i am gonna keep my tank low stocked for now until i up my asm g1 skimmer on my 120.

Jiggyfly
02-05-2009, 07:43 AM
gate valves are the only way to go. I will put one on any skimmer I ever own again.they give you absolute control in the fine tuning department.

JLAURENCE32
02-05-2009, 08:11 AM
I have a Octopus extreme 200 which is identical to the MSX200. It has a wedge pipe which is almost the same as a gate valve, so no mod needed there. Also it has a bubble plate which stabilizes the bubbles and makes a better head of foam. The mesh mod is really not needed, I think. It still pulls 25-30 cfm of air with the regular needle wheel, which is plenty. The only thing I don't like about it is the way the cup attaches to the body. I have to put lube on the o-ring every month and it hinders the skimmer for a few days.