PDA

View Full Version : asm g1 big enough

nesto719
01-29-2009, 10:53 PM
hello everyone, when i got my tank it came with a sam g1 skimmer . is this skimmer big enough for my 120. the skimmer works great and i get a great amount of dark stinky skimmate. if it is too small i would need to safe up and buy a g2 , and sell my g1. thanks........ nesto is it better to have a bigger skimmer then one thats just rated for the tank?

Jiggyfly
01-29-2009, 11:21 PM
g1 won't cut it. G2 will handle it barely but would be better if modded with a sedra 5000 needle wheel. I just sold my g2 and put a g1 on my frag tank. the g1 will be getting a sedra 3500 mod to bump it up to a g1x flow.

stacy7127
01-29-2009, 11:58 PM
g1 won't cut it. G2 will handle it barely but would be better if modded with a sedra 5000 needle wheel. I just sold my g2 and put a g1 on my frag tank. the g1 will be getting a sedra 3500 mod to bump it up to a g1x flow.

I agree with jiggy i have a asm2 on my 120 and i cant get it to pull very much at all but i put a sedra 5000 pump on it and it work like a asm3 with plenty on skim.

nesto719
01-30-2009, 12:04 AM
well here is my problem i only have 26 inches beneath the stand and the g2 is 25 inches and the g3 is 24 inches so i would have to get a g3. now do i really need this much skimmer? the g-3 is rated for 250 gallons. will i be over skimming. i have to dump my g1 every three days with dark snimmate. i guess the g1 will be for sale here in a few weeks.

nesto719
01-30-2009, 12:25 AM
well i just measured my sump the g-3 is an inch too big, damn what to do . i guess i could mod the sump?

Jiggyfly
01-30-2009, 07:47 AM
g2 with a 5000 pump

racer69
01-30-2009, 08:42 AM
You won't need more than an inch to empty the cup so you would be fine with a g2.

Sneezy
01-30-2009, 08:46 AM
could he drill a little hole and break out the tap and die to thread it so he can plumb a little line from the collection cup to a remote vessel so that the clearance thing wont be such an issue?

Murfman
01-30-2009, 09:42 AM
could he drill a little hole and break out the tap and die to thread it so he can plumb a little line from the collection cup to a remote vessel so that the clearance thing wont be such an issue?

Still need to be able to take the cup off and clean it and the neck of the cup.

Sneezy
01-30-2009, 09:57 AM
lol well that would make to much sense murf (i failed to think about that obviously)

Murfman
01-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Its the meds, man, the meds!!!!

kens98
01-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Is it better to have a bigger skimmer then what is needed? Yep and that is the advice that most will give.

The ASM G1X is rated to 150 gallons and should be just good enough. If you can squeze in a bigger unit, that would be better. IMO G3 is slightly overkill for your setup but then again bigger is better and if you ever upgrade in size, then your skimmer should not need to be replaced at that point.

And in all fairness, if it is producing good results and your parameters are staying in check,it probably is not needing an upgrade at this time (unless you just want too:biggrin5:).

Sneezy
01-30-2009, 11:58 AM
i think over skimming really depends on what you are keeping and your bio loads.

for what i understand that some corals we like to keep (xenias, zoas, and palys) like the water not so clean and nutrient free as other corals (by that i mean that the like some nutrients in small amounts to thrive)

racer69
01-30-2009, 12:45 PM
A g2 is more than enough for a 120 setup. I ran a g2 on my 180 for about 2 years before I upgraded to a g3 and I have a very full tank of corals and fish. I did to the mesh and gate valve mods on it, and they are very easy to do.

Deuce67
01-30-2009, 01:16 PM
ASM sucks! There, I said it lol!

calvin415
01-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Oh come on Russ, I've moved on as well, but I still can't complain about the G5 on the 225, that think is kicking so much A it could probably take on Todd. ;)

kens98
01-30-2009, 01:19 PM
ASM sucks! There, I said it lol!

Just their Mini G :(

Sneezy
01-30-2009, 01:19 PM
in his pink thong and all too huh E?

Deuce67
01-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Lol! My comment was definitely uncalled for. There are a couple of ASM users that have kick azz tanks but they are using ASM with a much higher rating on what they actually have.

calvin415
01-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah, they rate the G5 at 700 gallons, but I still believe if you have fish and are feeding your tank lots you can't overskim...IMO a good rule of thumb is take the skimmers rating and divide by at least 2 for reef tanks.

Deuce67
01-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Thats one of the problems I see with ASM skimmers. They waaaaay over rate thier skimmers.

calvin415
01-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Interesting read, it sure supports my thoughts on skimmers for a while now...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2

Here's some bullets I've pulled from other sites:

There is zero substance to most or all skimmer manufacturers claims that their technology is better at removing TOCs/DOCs.

Needlewheel, venturi, airstone, downdraft, etc... makes no difference in ability to remove TOCs... they all perform pretty much the same.... the difference between the various skimmer engineering technologies is in how much space they take up, and how much energy is consumed in the process of removing TOCs

Skimmers can only remove ~30% of TOCs, after that, they are ineffective. While some el cheapo small skimmers cannot perform up to this level due to poor design, most of the common brands do.

Skimmers typically do not need to be operated 7x24; in their tests, nearly all TOC removal ocurred that will ocurr in <2 hours of operation. 7x24 operation is just a waste of energy.

Overskimming is impossible; corallary: bigger is not necessarily better. Therefore, skimmers should be right-sized, not over-sized for a given system.

GAC is much more effective at TOC removal than skimmers; on a small system, a skimmer is (arguably) not worth the expense or space consumed; GAC alone is fine. On larger systems, GAC by itself is just too expensive to use solely, so a skimmer is highly benficial from the cost perspective.

Skimmers cannot take the place of routine regular water changes.

notchback5.0
01-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Just their Mini G :(

Most of the people on this site who have a mini G have no issues. Scooby just got one and loves it, and mrliriel/lirel have one and they like it too..

ReefJerk
01-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Even if you did all the mods to pone of the ASM's, it would still not handle th eload they rate it at. That being said, I run the G4x on my 180 and it pulls a good amount. But, if I had done a little more research before I pulled the trigger on mine, I'd have gone another route.

One week of skum:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k182/reefjerk/Hobby/Tank/nog005.jpg

Deuce67
01-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Yah, i dont buy it. Running your skimmer 2 hours a day is sufficient? No way. All skimmers are pretty much the same? Nope. I have to disagree on that one. A needle wheel or meshwheel pump will outperform a regular venturi type skimmer pump mounted on the same body any day. The only thing I agree on that is you cant overskim and nothing can take the place of a routine regular water change.

calvin415
01-30-2009, 02:48 PM
You really think one skimmer can remove more TOC's than another? One skimmer might remove them fast than another (more air = more bubbles = more efficient), but total skimmate (excluding water from wet skimming)? There is only so much crap in the water...

calvin415
01-30-2009, 02:50 PM
I agree, I will always run my skimmer 24/7 as I want to constantly be removing crap from the water, not let it sit in the tank for the other 22 hours.

Deuce67
01-30-2009, 03:08 PM
You really think one skimmer can remove more TOC's than another? One skimmer might remove them fast than another (more air = more bubbles = more efficient), but total skimmate (excluding water from wet skimming)? There is only so much crap in the water...

Hey, the faster the better. I dont want that crap lingering in the tank yah know.

calvin415
01-30-2009, 03:22 PM
LOL! Okay I can agree with that, but really does it justify spending 2, 3, or 10 times as much on a skimmer to pull something out just a hair quicker? That is, if it's even in-fact a more efficient skimmer? Example... Octopus re-cir Euro Reef re-cir. Look identical even measurements, but the ER is 3 times the price... Does the ER skim better? I doubt it.

calvin415
01-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Here's a question though, can 2 ok skimmers out skim 1 great skimmer? This stuff will fry your brain!!! ;)

ReefJerk
01-30-2009, 04:01 PM
There have been threads in the past that show 1 skimmer being "shutout" by another. You think 2 ASM's could shutdown a BK?

calvin415
01-30-2009, 04:11 PM
That's the million dollar question. I had the smallest Euro Reef shut down a Remora Pro w/ upgraded pump. Couldn't get a drop out of the Remora with the cup dropped to the bottom!

Deuce67
01-30-2009, 04:15 PM
LOL! Okay I can agree with that, but really does it justify spending 2, 3, or 10 times as much on a skimmer to pull something out just a hair quicker? That is, if it's even in-fact a more efficient skimmer? Example... Octopus re-cir Euro Reef re-cir. Look identical even measurements, but the ER is 3 times the price... Does the ER skim better? I doubt it.

Oh I totally agree! Price doesnt mean anything to me. Doesnt mean if a skimmer cost more, it is more effective than a similar size, same rated pump. But there are skimmers out there, much better than others for the same price.

Deuce67
01-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Here's a question though, can 2 ok skimmers out skim 1 great skimmer? This stuff will fry your brain!!! ;)

Hmmm, depends on the setup? Dual chamber sump with individual overflow dumping into a another sump with 1 return? I bet it would hehe!

mrliriel
01-30-2009, 04:46 PM
I love the G2 but hate my mini-G. It is just a piss-poor skimmer. It only takes about a 1/4" to get the cup off the G2. But you could also mesh mod or recirculating mod it to make it way more affective.

kens98
01-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Most of the people on this site who have a mini G have no issues. Scooby just got one and loves it, and mrliriel/lirel have one and they like it too..

Pump is louder than a Diesel truck (even both replacements are just loud). The quality to me also just feels cheap (I already cracked the ring where the cup attaches to with no force - super glue to the rescue). To ASM's credit, they overnighted a pump to me at their cost.

I will say that the thing sure pulls a whole bunch of crap out of the tank so it is doing it's job. But I was hoping for a little better for the price that it costs.

racer69
01-30-2009, 06:46 PM
I also have the mini g and it sucks. I don't think it works anywhere near as well as their other designs. My g2 and my g3 will pull out more crap than a person should have to smell. yuch!

JLAURENCE32
01-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Ernesto, the main thing always forgotten when putting a skimmer under a tank, is the skimmer height + the skimmer recommended water height. Say the recommended water level for your skimmer is 10", but the water level in the sump is 14". Then you must put the skimmer on a 4" stand to work properly. Now you just added 4" to the height of your skimmer. See pic:

Http://www.thescmas.com/forums/gallery/files/2/5/1/sump.jpg

scooby
01-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Maybe I am just a nub, but I love my mini-g. Took me one adjustment to get it to pull amazingly well (like black coffee) and mine is dam near silent. I have a hard time telling if it is on or not when I pull the plug for my return pump during maint.

mrliriel
01-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Maybe I am just a nub, but I love my mini-g. Took me one adjustment to get it to pull amazingly well (like black coffee) and mine is dam near silent. I have a hard time telling if it is on or not when I pull the plug for my return pump during maint.I have noticed that mine does well when the filter sock next to it is not clogged but as soon as there is any turbulence in the water it just dosn't do its job well. I have had good luck with it in some setups and then it pulls like a teaspoon of skim a week in others. I think the problem with the mini-g is that they need to get a good name brand needle wheel pump on it to make it more consistant for all users.

nesto719
01-30-2009, 10:57 PM
thanks guys, for the input. i think i can get a g2 under my tank and it shouldnt be a prob. right now i dont have a heavy load , but this g1 pulls a ton of crap out , like scoob said coffee black, and it smells like rotten eggs. i def. think a g3 will be too big. i have to figure in rock , sand hell i probably dont even have a 100 gallons of actual water. i just want to have the best i can have for my system without breaking the bank, and asm is in my budget. i am not running cheato in my sump just bags of ceramics , carbon, zeolite,foam pad for micro bubbles, and a uv sterilizer, all in individual chambers of course. it is not my sump of preference but it should work. another reason to get a bigger skimmer is because hopefully skimming takes out phosphates. does it? i dont really have a lot of room for reactors and such so i need to know the best ways possible to have a nice setup.

racer69
01-31-2009, 12:06 PM
You may want to pull the ceramic beads as they will eventually be a nitrate trap.

Huhhhhh
01-31-2009, 03:41 PM
I would do it a little at a time though. Maybe a handful, or a bag if you are running several bags with each water change until they are gone. Your live rock is plenty to keep your tank going.

scooby
01-31-2009, 05:21 PM
I have run ceramic for around 5 years, never had a measurable nitrate reading. I always rinse them out every 3rd or 4th water change in the old tank water and vacuum out my sump at the same time. I also clean my return pumps every 6 months.

nesto719
02-01-2009, 01:51 PM
I have run ceramic for around 5 years, never had a measurable nitrate reading. I always rinse them out every 3rd or 4th water change in the old tank water and vacuum out my sump at the same time. I also clean my return pumps every 6 months.

yeah i was also told to rinse the ceramics and clean the sump every quarter.