PDA

View Full Version : lighting

Roger
12-19-2008, 10:33 AM
First off thanks for allowing me to join your site, looks like a real nice place. I am new to the saltwater enviroment and was hoping some of you experienced folks could help me out a little. I have a 125 non-drilled reef mostly soft and a few lps. I currently have 2 36 inch 2 96 watt pc's on the tank. I am wanting to upgrade to keep clams and lps. I guess the question is how is the best way to do this. I obviously need MH but should I build a canopy and go with retrofit, or go with a fixture. I am roughly 20 inch deep so what about wattage and how many. Thanks hope I am not posting this somewhere I shouldn't be.

lmarc78
12-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Roger welcome to the club. This is a great place for info.

I will be selling a Haminlton 3x175 MH with a retrofit hood here in the next 2 weeks or so.
It has 2 new Reeflux 12k bulbs and 2 old 14K phoenix bulbs. It also have 2X165 VHO actinics.

Send me a PM if you are intersted.

JLAURENCE32
12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Hey Roger, welcome to the club. Make sure to post under the General forum in the Introduction thread. Whatever you do, wait for at least a month and learn all you can here, then you can make an informed decision. I know I hated buying stuff twice.

calvin415
12-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the Club Roger! With a 6 foot tank, you probably want to go with 3 bulbs to ensure even coverage. Wattage is probably preference and what you want to do long term... Some Clams don't require as much as others, but assuming you want either Maxima or Crocea you need some pretty good light. 3x250w minimum IMO. The 175's Marc is selling may work for your needs (will support LPS and some Clams just fine), but ultimately it's your call. If you want an "Open Top" look, a pendant would be sweet, but if you want a canopy "Closed Top" then a Retro or Pendant setup would be ideal.

Can you tell us more about your setup? Filtration? Skimmer? Flow? Any other long term goals? Do you plan to get into SPS corals? Are you currently adding calcium to your tank? I only ask, because clams are calcium hogs!

Roger
12-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Wow quick responses. A little more info the tank has been set up for 11 months have about 175 lbs of live rock, aqua c hob skimmer and small emperor bio wheel. As far as calcium I do add kalk with top off and maintain with two part solution. ph normally 8.4 day and 8.2 night. I am not real sure what I want to do here as far as the fixture or hood of some type. The main reason was asking here is I hate buying all the stuff twice as well and it seems like that is what I have done from the start. I actually live in Kansas about 15 miles from Colo. You folks are actually the closest to me as far as places to but live stock. Wish I would have found your site a year ago. And yes to the Lps at some point I would like to.

Sneezy
12-19-2008, 11:26 AM
if i remember right Huhhhh has a very very nice hood that would be prefect for this tank.

Jiggyfly
12-19-2008, 01:59 PM
tim's is 4 ft fixture. scott has some nice 250's I personally borrowed and will vouch for. they worked alot better than the fixture setup I had and had I not already ordered my 400's I probably would have persuaded him to sell them to me.

Huhhhhh
12-19-2008, 03:12 PM
tim's is 4 ft fixture. scott has some nice 250's I personally borrowed and will vouch for. they worked alot better than the fixture setup I had and had I not already ordered my 400's I probably would have persuaded him to sell them to me.

Ummm Jiggy, My old canopy is a 6 foot canopy.
I had it on the 125 remember.:out:

Murfman
12-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi Roger and welcome to The SC-KMAS!!!! I have a 125 and only ran 2 single ended 250s as I have a 12" piece of glass in the center as a brace. I now run SE 400s and the corals love them. I am in the process of setting up a 300 that is 8' long and will be running 3 400 watters with lumenarc III reflectors. You can really maximize your lighting with good reflectors.