PDA

View Full Version : yellow and purple tang in a 55 gal

notchback5.0
10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Well, i know it says they should have at least a 75 gal display, some places say 100 gal. I had a yellow tang in my 55 gal before, and the fish seemed to do great. I would really like to do 2 tangs but I also dont want to stress the fish. I was going to get both fish at the same time, and add them at the same time. Thoughts?

racer69
10-30-2008, 11:40 AM
A purple and Yellow will be ok in a 55. They tend to stay smaller and don't require the swimming room an Acanthurus or Naso species does.

Deuce67
10-30-2008, 11:40 AM
From experience, I know my YT and PT squabbled a lot when they were in my 90. Once they got transfered to my 150, not so much anymore. It may spell trouble in a 55. But you never know.

GrassHoppa'
10-30-2008, 11:42 AM
55 is to small for two tangs of any species. you'll want to wait till you go over 100g and I've been told that is still on the small side. good luck

notchback5.0
10-30-2008, 11:47 AM
I have been thinking its not gonna work myself, but hey... Im not an expert. My problem is that I want some active swimming fish in my 55 gal. Most of the small fish, hide in the rock, or stay on the rock most of the time which makes for a boring tank. Even clown fish are relatively boring as they typically just hover in one area of the tank. I for sure will be adding a purple tang to my tank, probably a couple purple fire fish, and a clown maybe 2... At that point though, my tank will be stocked, and I wont be able to add anything else. I am weighing options at this point. I only have a lawnmower blenny in my tank right now. This is all of coarse going to happen over the next 6 months. I gotta give the refugium time to start producing, and sucking up the nitrates in my tank.

aquaman2000
10-30-2008, 11:52 AM
For swimming fish, you may try a shoal of smaller Anthias, or even a school of chromis. But I do agree, a 55 really is not a great place for any tang.

Murfman
10-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Lyretail Anthias. Get 4 females and 1 will become a male.

notchback5.0
10-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I am opposed to having a school of the same type of fish. I really want a variety of fish.. That is where the dilemma lies. I am open to suggestions... Please feel free to keep the ideas flowin.

GrassHoppa'
10-30-2008, 12:00 PM
are you going bigger down the road? if so I think a school of chromis would be sweet in the 55. then you could do the yellow and purple when you upgrade. and with the fire fish and clowns you will have the perfect amount of fish for a larger tank

notchback5.0
10-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Eventually I am going to be in the market for a reef ready 125 gal, unless I can find a way to convert my 100 gal to a reef ready system. I have been contemplating completely dismantlling my 100 gal tank, and buying a new bottom that is already drilled, then putting it back together. Marc, already told me he wouldnt help me :icon_crying:, and I am just begging for many nights of frustration, but I already have the tank/stand/canopy. Now that I have a reef ready tank, I know how much easier it is to deal with, and how much better it looks. The upgrade to the new tank is not in my near future though. I have to buy my house first.

Murfman
10-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Have a 125, stand and canopy up for sale. It is RR and drilled for a closed loop. It will be ready to go as soon as I get everything transferred to my 300. It will also come with the 55 sump and 1 48" PC light.

GrassHoppa'
10-30-2008, 12:12 PM
you can't drill the bottom of the 100?

notchback5.0
10-30-2008, 12:14 PM

I would assume the bottom of the 100 is tempered. To the best of my knowledge, once you get over 55 gal, the bottoms of all tanks are tempered. :leaving:

aquaman2000

Not usually, they are tempered. But you can drill the back and silicone an over flow to it.

Murfman
Not if it is tempered glass you can't.

notchback5.0
10-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Have a 125, stand and canopy up for sale. It is RR and drilled for a closed loop. It will be ready to go as soon as I get everything transferred to my 300. It will also come with the 55 sump and 1 48" PC light.

LOL, I knew you would post this murf... I just cant afford another tank right now, and I have nowhere to put it. Believe me... if I was already in my house, it would be a different story.

Huhhhhh
10-30-2008, 12:17 PM
There are many great Wrasses out there and they are active swimmers. I like the African Leopard the best.

notchback5.0
10-30-2008, 12:18 PM
If I do 3 chromis, and already have a blenny, I could probably get away with what 2 more smaller fish? maybe a clown fish, and a fire fish? My total water volume including sump is about 55 gal when you take away the rock/substrate displacement. IDK... I guess it would be ok but its not really what I was hoping for.

Murfman
10-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Every other "buyer" that has expressed interest has either not gotten back to me or had other issues come up. I need to pimp it to anyone that might be interested. I think it is going for a pretty good deal, considering what all is included.

GrassHoppa'
10-30-2008, 12:21 PM
like the African Leopard the best.

is this the same one Brent has, if so I agree one hundred percent

notchback5.0
10-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Every other "buyer" that has expressed interest has either not gotten back to me or had other issues come up. I need to pimp it to anyone that might be interested. I think it is going for a pretty good deal, considering what all is included.

Well, how much do you want for it? I know I cant buy it, but I still want to know what you are asking. If I could sell my 100 gal, maybe I could get this one from you.

GrassHoppa'
10-30-2008, 12:26 PM
you should just trade murf. you could use the 100 for a sump for the 300

Murfman
10-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Already have a 125 sump.

GrassHoppa'
10-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I see

LDogg
10-30-2008, 12:31 PM
if you do a school of chromis, buy 2 extra then you want. the school will pick off the weak ones.

LDogg
10-30-2008, 12:33 PM
I like anthias personally. I think a 55 is ok for a yellow, or a purple, but not both. I had a hippo and a powder blue in a 72 bow years ago, and they were ok, but that was really pushing it.

notchback5.0
10-30-2008, 12:44 PM
if you do a school of chromis, buy 2 extra then you want. the school will pick off the weak ones.
What happens when i end up with 5 instead of 3 cause none die? LOL

I also like Tims idea of the leopard wrasses, but if I decide I want a target/psych then they will be competing for food. That could be a problem.

my ideal list would be
1 purple tang
1 psych
2 firefish (2 purple, or 1 of each)
1 clown fish (maybe 2)
1 motor blenny

The problem with this list, only the purple tang is a swimmer, and the rest of the fish dont really swim around.

If I went with this list, does anyone think it would be too much for my tank to handle?

Murfman
10-30-2008, 12:52 PM
You don't want two firefish of the same genus;

In the wild, the Firefish Goby is usually found in groups hovering over the reef, harvesting planktonic food that drifts by in the current. The docile, Firefish Goby is timid and in the wild, each will have a "bolt-hole" into which it quickly ducks when threatened. In the home aquarium, the Firefish Goby needs multiple safety zones amongst rocky crags or outcroppings into which it can dart if stressed. This member of the Gobiidae family is generally not aggressive towards other fish except those of its own species. However, a mated pair can live peacefully together.

AGGJSW
10-30-2008, 12:54 PM
I put a yellow, purple, and sailfin in my 120g at the same time. Fighting was very minimal and non-existant now. If they stay small, that would be good for me.

notchback5.0
10-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I have always read more than 2 of the same will fight, but 2 of the same is OK. When I go to the LFS, I always see 2 of the same in the same tank and they always seem peaceful. I really dont mind having one purple, and one red... They are both good looking fish.

Maybe I will just get one firefish, and try a Pigmy Angel instead...

scooby
10-30-2008, 01:06 PM
We have a yellow and a purple in the 90g at my office, and people are always saying "why is the yellow one so mean?" and "He keeps attacking the purple one!"

Alcedok9
10-30-2008, 03:01 PM
We have 2 firefish and 1 purple firefish, all 3 get along very well and are always active swimmers. They seen to hang in the open in about the middle of the tank. We do have lots of live rock, but also have open swimming room for the tangs.

If you want a smaller fish that has TONS of personality and is always doing something interesting, our little yellow headed jawfish is my favorite fish.:icon_heart: "Pearly" is always busy and is a kick when she decides to reinforce her house with LIVE hermit crabs. She will lift and carry a crab that is almost as big as she is, the crab will be kicking it's little legs like crazy. She gets so upset when she sees all her hard work go crawling off.

When the lights go out, she pulls a shell in to shut her door for the night. Sometimes I think we overlook the little "common" fish when in fact they have lots to offer.

liriel
10-30-2008, 03:49 PM
I think blennies have the best personalities. I have a bi-color in one tank and a tail spot in the other. Very fun fish with a lot of spunk. My tangs hide when you approach the tank, but the clowns don't. I had firefish... They hid a lot and my nasty bengaii managed to eventually kill both when in season. Wrasse are rad, I want to get a leoppard when I catch that &$);))&@- psuedochromis. I have a spotted and a psychodellic in my 125 and they are amazing. Fattiest mandarin you'll ever see. I also really like my swallowtail angel, but even she hides quite a bit. I've never liked chromis myself - they are always chasing someone. They seem like jerks to me. We also have a scopias tang. He is neat but again is shy.

LDogg
10-30-2008, 03:59 PM
right now i have a pair of allardi clowns a trio of lyretails anthias, a sunburst anthias, a sixline wrasse, and a lawnmower blenny. they are always out and swimming around, and when I walk to the tank they head to the top for food....

notchback5.0
10-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone... Keep it commin. My fish list is not set in stone, other than probably the psych.

Murfman
10-31-2008, 06:31 AM
Goldflake Angelfish. Well worth the $!!!!!!

Jiggyfly
10-31-2008, 06:43 AM
is this the same one Brent has, if so I agree one hundred percent

yup :D

Reefkoi
10-31-2008, 07:57 AM
what about a flame hawk? they are bright and usually always have a great "personallity"

Huhhhhh
10-31-2008, 09:05 AM
I agree, I love Flame Hawks. They are jumpers though.:mad2:

aquaman2000
10-31-2008, 09:19 AM
I had a hippo and a powder blue in a 72 bow years ago, and they were ok, but that was really pushing it.

They may have seemed ok for the short time they were in there Larry but really as the Powder Blue grew..... in that size tank it would have killed it's tank mates and then died from stress.... Even the Heppo if it was given time to grow you just can't cram those big fish into a tiny tank. It really is not fair to the fish despite what we want to believe.

think of it like this.... Imagine you have been incarcerated and you are now expected to live the rest of your life in a 3' wide 6' long jail cell that you can never leave. you have no control over your environmental controls or what you eat. you are reliant on your captors for everything. How long would live? what would health be like? what would happen to your stress levels?

Thankfully the 80's and 90's are over, we need to stop clinging to the old uneducated way of doing things and put the LIFETIME needs of the animals we choose to care for before our own desires and really stop to think. I am really able to give this animal everything it needs for it's whole life? If the answer is NO in a way.... then don't get it. If the fish you wants needs a 300 gallon tank and you can only provide a 100 gallon.... don't get it. It's not fair to the fish and YOU are putting a ton of stress on the fish ripping it from it's home transporting it and dumping it somewhere else when you should have never put it in your tank in the first place.

If it is to large as an adult... it is to large as a juvenile.

JMO I will stop preaching now.

GrassHoppa'
10-31-2008, 10:05 AM
good analogy. this one might beat the mortar and break

notchback5.0
10-31-2008, 10:37 AM
preach on Aquaman... I completely agree. That is why I have choosen not to get a tang at this point. My modified list is

1 Clown fish
1 firefish
1 psych
1 lawnmower blenny
1 pigmy angel
1 flame hawk.

I am currently in the process of enclosing the back of my canopy so I can add any jumpers.

I am still fighting a heat issue. I can not seem to get my tank down below 77 degrees. I have lowered my temp on the heater, and it still seems to be 77 degrees in the morning. Now 77 would be fine but my tank jumps to almost 80 by the end of the evening. I can not figure out what is keeping the heat so high in my tank. I am going to enclose the back of the canopy, and add 2 fans to see if that will stabilize the temp some.

Murfman
10-31-2008, 10:40 AM
80* is not a bad temp.

http://ozreef.org/library/articles/temperature_on_a_reef.html

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/aquariummaintenancecare/a/reeftanktemp.htm

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/32483-ideal-reef-tank-temperature.html

notchback5.0
10-31-2008, 10:46 AM
my toadstool will not open up unless the water is less than 78 degrees. When I had my tank at 80, the toadstool did not open at all. As soon as I lowered the temp was down to 78, it opened every day. Now that the tank is about 80, the toadstool does not open up except for first few hours when the tank is below about 78 degrees. As soon as the temp starts creeping above 78, it starts closing up.

GrassHoppa'
10-31-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't think it's how high the temp is but the fluctuation of the temp that is messing with your coral. when you find out what the peak temp is you should set you heater to or close to that temp. your extra heat is your lights the new fans should work good in dropping the temp. until them if you want a fast fix clip a cheap fan from HD you will probably see a drop in three or four degrees while your lights are on

ps. my temp is always between 79 and 80
hope this helps

Murfman
10-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Notch, when do you want to come by and pick up those 120VAC fans?

notchback5.0
10-31-2008, 11:20 AM
probably next weekend when I can spare some extra money. I spent my budget this month for my tank. Between the pvc for plumbing my new tank, the 2 new korilia #3 pumps, sock filters, new titanium heater, tank, bulkheads argomud and the water, I am just about broke at this point. My GF's birthday is the 13th so I had to spend money on her too. I ended up buying her a new rear bumper, and all the paint to get it repainted. She bought a brand new kia optima and some dumb chick ran into her messing the bumper up to the point where it had to be replaced. That alone cost me almost 300 for everything so my reserves are tapped. :nopity: I am buying her a remote start for her car next friday, so money is tight. I can deal with the fluctuating temps until next weekend..

GrassHoppa'
10-31-2008, 11:20 AM
yup :D
that is one sweet fish!

GrassHoppa'
10-31-2008, 11:24 AM
probably next weekend when I can spare some extra money. I spent my budget this month for my tank. Between the pvc for plumbing my new tank, the 2 new korilia #3 pumps, sock filters, new titanium heater, tank, bulkheads argomud and the water, I am just about broke at this point. My GF's birthday is the 13th so I had to spend money on her too. I ended up buying her a new rear bumper, and all the paint to get it repainted. She bought a brand new kia optima and some dumb chick ran into her messing the bumper up to the point where it had to be replaced. That alone cost me almost 300 for everything so my reserves are tapped. :nopity: I am buying her a remote start for her car next friday, so money is tight. I can deal with the fluctuating temps until next weekend..

she's still a girlfriend get out while you can.:icon_biggrin:

aquaman2000
10-31-2008, 11:27 AM
preach on Aquaman... I completely agree. That is why I have choosen not to get a tang at this point. My modified list is

1 Clown fish
1 firefish
1 psych
1 lawnmower blenny
1 pigmy angel
1 flame hawk.

I am currently in the process of enclosing the back of my canopy so I can add any jumpers.

I am still fighting a heat issue. I can not seem to get my tank down below 77 degrees. I have lowered my temp on the heater, and it still seems to be 77 degrees in the morning. Now 77 would be fine but my tank jumps to almost 80 by the end of the evening. I can not figure out what is keeping the heat so high in my tank. I am going to enclose the back of the canopy, and add 2 fans to see if that will stabilize the temp some.

Your temps are fine!!!! A three degree swing is not bad at all. Mine will go from 77/78 to 79/80 on hot days even with several fans running.

notchback5.0
10-31-2008, 11:29 AM
she's still a girlfriend get out while you can.:icon_biggrin:

Man my girlfriend is awesome... Sooner or later she will be my wife, but neither of us are ready to jump into anything... I have no doubt about that... I never thought I would ever say that, but her and I are a perfect match...

GrassHoppa'
10-31-2008, 11:40 AM
:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:just playing it's worth it

racer69
10-31-2008, 11:43 AM
A three degree tamp swing is not a problem. When I am in the Carribbean you can easily swim from water that is 80 into pockets that are 75. If fish can handle that in their natural habbitat, the can take a gradual increase and decrease. Your corals will get used to the small swing and they will open. You just need to keep the same thing going day in and day out.

racer69
10-31-2008, 11:44 AM
:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:just playing it's worth it

The only woman for Adam is his mommy.:icon_wink:

GrassHoppa'
10-31-2008, 11:46 AM
I agree three degrees isn't that bad. but fluctuating temps will have more of an effect on corals then 80 degree's

GrassHoppa'
10-31-2008, 11:47 AM
The only woman for Adam is his mommy.:icon_wink:

and yours todd

racer69
10-31-2008, 11:52 AM
I have had 3 degree temp swings in my 180 for over 4 years now.....have you seen my corals? They are very nice and most are colonies except the few frags I have added lately. Softies are one of the easiest to grow and will adapt to just about any condition given time.

racer69
10-31-2008, 11:54 AM
I sometime wonder if I put these Kenya trees in turpentine would they still grow? You can't get rid of them no matter how many time you rip them off the rock.

aquaman2000
10-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Kenya trees

did you not meen weeds?

Reefkoi
10-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Man the dis' are flying here. Adam, you hooked up with todd mom too? Did she do that thing where she takes out her dentures?

aquaman2000
10-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Man the dis' are flying here. Adam, you hooked up with todd mom too? Did she do that thing where she takes out her dentures?

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

GrassHoppa'
10-31-2008, 07:28 PM
that's the only way. I like the flat head for the beer to

Reefkoi
10-31-2008, 08:24 PM
yep, Last time I had to kick Todd out of the room, he wanted to watch (for free!)

GrassHoppa'
10-31-2008, 09:35 PM
yep, Last time I had to kick Todd out of the room, he wanted to watch (for free!)

what a dirty old man

racer69
11-01-2008, 09:37 AM

Well I always heard about a donkey show and Chris had one in the room. I thought I could watch for free, but Chris is shy so I left for a couple of minutes.:dita: