PDA

View Full Version : urchin skimmer problems

notchback5.0
10-27-2008, 11:14 PM
I have had this skimmer running since saturday. Today, it started producing skimmate. I have the cup as high as it possibly can go. The cup is full of almost completely clear water within 2 hours of cleaning out the cup. WTF is wrong with this thing. I am adding no additives other than b-ionic, iodine, stronium, b-ionic hasnt been added in 2 days, other stuff hasnt been added in a week. Nothing has changed, or been added other than the refugium. When i changed tanks, I did a 13 gal water change. I havent fed anything in the tank in 2 days since my wrasse died. I had a remora HOT skimmer and it was a POS and never produced any skimmate and this thing is exactly the opposite. I swear, I am about to take this piece of crap out and bash it with a hammer...

aquaman2000
10-28-2008, 06:07 AM
The urchin is the exact same skimmer as the remora except it is an in sump instead of a hang on.

Jiggyfly
10-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Try keeping the cup empty and letting it wet skim till it settles down or breaks in I had similar probs with my ASM G2 when I first put it up.

racer69
10-28-2008, 07:54 AM
You may need to raise the whole skimmer up some. Depending on the hight of the skimmer, usually only 8-10" should be in the water.

notchback5.0
10-28-2008, 10:50 AM
raising the skimmer to less than 6 inches of water has no effect on the skimmate or the rate at which it produces skim. I called aqua C about the product, and they told me as long as the water level in my sump is below the water outlet of the skimmer, then the water is shallow enough. It currently is about 1 inch below the outlet making total depth about 11 inches. I unplugged it last night, and plugged it back in this morning. As soon as the power was plugged in, the skimmer already had foam going into the cup. It didnt even take 5 seconds. The only thing I can think of is there must be something in my water causing this. I am going to try another water change today and see if that helps at all. I called Aqua C back today, and told them about the problem. The guy i spoke with also said that raising the skimmer should not affect the output as the water level inside the skimmer will not change. He said, the issue may be caused by adding the new substrate in the refugium and that there may have been an excess of dead bacteria which is now in the tank. He also is sending me a valve to throttle down the skimmer pump some. I am heading over to get water to try a water change. hopefully that will help.

GrassHoppa'
10-28-2008, 02:23 PM
you might want to check your parameters, because I don't think it's the nutrient in the water. I think you might have a flow problem. why I think this is because your water is clear. if the tank has to much nutrients your skim will have color to it

JLAURENCE32
10-28-2008, 03:04 PM
What kind of pump are you using?

notchback5.0
10-28-2008, 03:53 PM
I checked my parameters last night, and again today. Ammonia and nitrite are undetectable, and my nitrates are between 20-40. I did a 19 gal water change today, and the skimmer stopped for about 10 min after the pump was turned on. It is now producing skimmate again, but its almost clear. I do not believe I have a flow problem. My return pump is 600gph at 4 ft head pressure, and I also have a 300 gph power head in the tank as well. I only have 1 fish, and 3 extremly small pieces of softies. I am using the pump that came with the urchin which is a maxijet 1200. i can look at the tank, and see the flow in the tank is moving nicely by following the micro bubbles in the tank. everything I have read says 10X flow is enough for a fowlr. Now I have 3 pieces of coral but its not like my tank is stocked with fish either.

GrassHoppa'
10-28-2008, 04:07 PM
I think your tank is fine, I was talking about the pump if it's to much for the skimmer. but if it came with it you you would think it's fine. can you post a pic, it will help narrow it down. is the cup still filling up with clear water?

notchback5.0
10-28-2008, 04:28 PM
yea, when the cup is full, I will pull it out and take a picture. It does have a slight yellow tint and seems to be getting a little darker each time, but i might just be imagining it. The water change was done about 2 hours ago. I think it may have helped cause the cup is only about 1/8 of the way full. It is still producing skim... I guess I can only wait and see what is going to happen.

Murfman
10-28-2008, 04:28 PM
You don't have a lot of bioload so your skimmate is going to be light.

notchback5.0
10-28-2008, 04:34 PM
yea, I know that... but the skimmer cup should not fill in 2 hours... That is the problem I am most concerned with. Thanks to everyone who is trying to help me get this figured out.

Murfman
10-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Can you lower the bubbles in the neck? I am not familiar with your skimmer so I don't know how to adjust it. When mine does what yours does, I open the gate valve to allow more water out of the skimmer and lower the bubble column.

notchback5.0
10-28-2008, 04:49 PM
unfortunately, the only adjustment is the level of the cup. The higher the cup is, the longer it takes to for the bubbles to reach the cup. its basically like lowering the water level in a skimmer. I have it as high as it can possibly go at this point. I went over to sea scapes and looked at their nano version, and they only have 1 fish in theirs Their skim is much darker. I know that these skimmers do not produce a dark skim like some of the better skimmers, but the skim should atleast be a brown color.

LDogg
10-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Have you adjusted the cup height?

The collection cup can be set at the desired height by moving the black o-ring up or down on the cup. At its
lowest setting, the skimmer may collect an extremely wet, light-colored froth at first. In order to collect a dry foam,
raise the collection cup a small amount each day until you find the desired level. Applying a very small amount of
petroleum jelly to the black o-ring will prevent it from cracking over time. Do not apply lubricant to the cup itself.
Be aware that it is normal for the unit to stop skimming after feedings or other tank disturbances. Oils on your hands
or in the fish food will prevent any foaming action for a period of several minutes to an hour, at which point the
skimming should resume with great efficiency.
Maintenance
AquaC

mrliriel
10-28-2008, 04:50 PM
I had about the same issues when I was using an AquaC skimmer. After it broke in it stopped doing that and was pulling very little. Which is why we upgraded to an ASM G2. Some people can get these dialed in and others of us such as myself never have luck with their skimmers. There are many on reefcentral that speculate that this is due to the fact that their skimmers are all hand made and prone to small variations in their production, that however, is just spectulation.

LDogg
10-28-2008, 04:50 PM
well, it's gotta breakin first before it gets really nasty.....

notchback5.0
10-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Have you adjusted the cup height?

The collection cup can be set at the desired height by moving the black o-ring up or down on the cup. At its
lowest setting, the skimmer may collect an extremely wet, light-colored froth at first. In order to collect a dry foam,
raise the collection cup a small amount each day until you find the desired level. Applying a very small amount of
petroleum jelly to the black o-ring will prevent it from cracking over time. Do not apply lubricant to the cup itself.
Be aware that it is normal for the unit to stop skimming after feedings or other tank disturbances. Oils on your hands
or in the fish food will prevent any foaming action for a period of several minutes to an hour, at which point the
skimming should resume with great efficiency.
Maintenance
AquaC

Yes, the cup is at its maximum height.

lmarc78
10-28-2008, 05:22 PM
I have a Urchin and it's a piece of ****... Throw it away and buy a new one.. just my 2 cents!!!!!! I turned mine off over 2 months ago and just do water changes.

notchback5.0
10-28-2008, 06:11 PM
LOL.. marc tell me how you really feel. If anything I will return it and get an asm skimmer.

notchback5.0
10-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Well, here is the skimmate from the last 6 hours. As stated before, the cup is at the highest level possible. The nice part is the output has slowed down.

GrassHoppa'
10-28-2008, 07:34 PM
if it's getting less each time hopefully it will work it out on it's own

JLAURENCE32
10-28-2008, 09:07 PM
You don't have the air line hooked up on the maxi-jet do you? I hear alot of bad talk about AquaC skimmers but mine worked well. This was a day of skim -

Huhhhhh
10-28-2008, 09:36 PM
I think you need to give it a couple weeks to break in.

notchback5.0
10-28-2008, 10:05 PM
No, I dont have the air line hooked to the maxijet. I have wondered if it would be any better with the venturi connected, but I highly doubt it.

notchback5.0
10-28-2008, 10:06 PM
I think you need to give it a couple weeks to break in.

I am hoping it just needs time to break in.

penrosereefer
11-02-2008, 10:03 AM
I had a similiar problem with my skimmer and it was a stupid mistake on my part. On the outlet of the skimmer were it dumps back into the tank/sump i got tired of the micro bubbles so i took some foam filter material and gutted it and put it on the outlet thus ristricting the water flow and creating less bubbles, it worked but it also made it back up into collection cup. Just a thought

notchback5.0
11-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I havent modified the outlet in any way. The water level in the sump is about 1 inch below the water outlet of the skimmer. The skimmer is producing more of a yellow skim now, but the cup is still all the way at the top. It has been slowly getting better... I am hoping it is still in its break in period, and it will need another week or so before things get to normal. Right now, I dont have any fish in my tank, and only have corals, and inverts, so the load is really light. In 8 hours, it is still filling the up about half way with yellowish water... It is darker than it was when it first started, and is picking up less than it was...

notchback5.0
11-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, an update on the skimmer. I was able to lower the cup about 1/2 an inch into the skimmer yesterday. The skimmer essentially stopped producing anything and after 24 hours, it barely had anything in the cup. I lowered the cup about 1/2 an inch and it produced about 1/4 of a cup over about 12 hours. Must have been the break in period, and hopefully it will start producing a dark color skim soon. It is still a yellow color, but more yellow than it has been. I also have an extremely light load on the tank, so I probably shouldn't expect dark skim. We will see how it does once I get 3 or 4 fish in there.

LDogg
11-05-2008, 01:49 PM
most likely that was exactly what was going on.

racer69
11-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah, the break in period can be a PITA, but once you get it going right you can raise and lower for whatever thickness of skimmate you want.

notchback5.0
11-12-2008, 07:50 PM
boy what a waste of money. This thing is the worst investment I have ever made in my life. After running for almost 3 weeks, it continues to do the same thing. With the cup all the way up, it still fills the cup between 12 and 24 hours with yellowish water. If I feed the tank, it stops producing for about 10 minutes, then the POS goes crazy, and fills the cup within an hour of feeding, and doesnt stop for atleast 24 hours.The only thing I can do is unplug it and wait till the next day. I cant wait to yank piece of junk out of my tank. It will be replaced with an ASM Mini as soon as christmas passes.