PDA

View Full Version : ASM mini

notchback5.0
09-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Got a friend who has a 55 gal and is converting it to an overflow system. Currently is running a HOT filter and not having good re****s. He also only has about 20 lbs of live rock which he will be upgrading to about 55 lbs or so. We are converting a small tank into a sump, and he has been eying the ASM Mini skimmer which is supposed to be good for up to 75 gal. Anyone have experience with it? he is on a very limited budget, and can not afford to spend a ton on a skimmer. I showed him a G1 but he feels that is out of his price range. What do you guys think?

mrliriel
09-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Got a friend who has a 55 gal and is converting it to an overflow system. Currently is running a HOT filter and not having good re****s. He also only has about 20 lbs of live rock which he will be upgrading to about 55 lbs or so. We are converting a small tank into a sump, and he has been eying the ASM Mini skimmer which is supposed to be good for up to 75 gal. Anyone have experience with it? he is on a very limited budget, and can not afford to spend a ton on a skimmer. I showed him a G1 but he feels that is out of his price range. What do you guys think?
Im running one on my 72. There are pros' and cons' to any skimmer. The pros' to this unit are that it will pull far more than a simular sized seaclone, it fits in most sumps, and its a needle wheel. The cons' are that it is a little undersized for my 72 but is probibly just right for your friends 55, and that if your sump is not well designed it kicks out an *** ton of micro bubles and they will end up in your tank. Also of note is that the tube comming up for the venturi has no muffler this is only a minor irritation as you can muffle that noise by taking and drilling a hole in a pill container and then stuffing some cotton in it to muffle the noise.

notchback5.0
09-07-2008, 04:47 PM
thanks. I will let him know. I told him the most important part of that tank is the skimmer so we will go from there. I have a 55 too so I might look at this one but I kinda have my heart set on a g1x. Can the gate mod be done on the mini? also how deep is the water in your sump where the ASM is?

mrliriel
09-07-2008, 06:30 PM
thanks. I will let him know. I told him the most important part of that tank is the skimmer so we will go from there. I have a 55 too so I might look at this one but I kinda have my heart set on a g1x. Can the gate mod be done on the mini? also how deep is the water in your sump where the ASM is?

The water is 10 1/2" deep where it is and I don't see any reason why you couldn't do a gate mod on it. Even a asm g1 would out pull a mini-g. A recirculation mod would make the mini-g a killer skimmer.

racer69
09-07-2008, 08:43 PM
My mini-g is not the great. It doesn't pull much at all and I have adjusted it in all directions. I am thinking about the mesh mod.

PotHuntR
09-07-2008, 10:32 PM

Mine works great! I am glad I got it. I am going to do the gate mod though. there is a kit sold for 30.oo to do it. I had mine on about a 70 gallon system.

notchback5.0
09-23-2008, 09:52 AM
another question about this skimmer. Does anyone have the exact foot print of this skimmer. I have read the skimmer foot print is anywhere from 5.5X5.5 to 6X11. I have also read the pump is incorporated into the base, yet other sites show an external pump connecting to the side like other ASM skimmers so I have no idea what size this thing really takes. We are trying to design a sump around the space so I really need an exact size.

Murfman
09-23-2008, 09:55 AM
PM liriel, they have one.

racer69
09-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Mine is more inline with the 6x11 and the pump is external like my G-3.

PotHuntR
09-23-2008, 02:11 PM
The pump is external. Depending on the configuration of the skimmer i.e. the way you turn the pump on the pipe that goes into the skimmer it is roughly 11.5 x 5 maybe to be safe 5.5in I just measured mine.

notchback5.0
09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
There is a new design with the pump built into the base from what I am reading, so if I order one it will be the all in 1 unit from my understanding so thats the one I am trying to get info on. I have been reading online about the all in 1 units and a guy that works at a LFS says he has had 5 returned within a week of purchase all with failing pumps. I also talked to a LFS here who said his supplier for ASM stopped carrying the Mini because of all the pump failures they have experienced. Based on space constraints the aquaC urchin may now be the only choice but my experience with an aqua C remora was mediocre at best.. I never really got any good colored skimmate from it and wasting money is just not an option at this point. Sorry, I should have posted I was asking about the new design.

notchback5.0
09-23-2008, 05:16 PM
a coralife super skimmer 65 may also be an option.... I dont have any experience with those though.... Anyone?

**edit** nevermind. a couple posts on here call them "junk". Think I will probably go with the aqua C urchin since it really is the only option at this point. I really dont want to have to deal with a skimmer that keeps turning on and off due to a faulty pump. There are a lot of posts about the asm mini having that problem...

rekn
09-23-2008, 05:48 PM
everything coralife is garbage