PDA

View Full Version : Who runs styrofoam on sump

moerena
04-10-2017, 04:38 PM
I'm curious to see how many of you actually have styrofoam under your sump and does it really do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reeflextion
04-10-2017, 07:13 PM
I put foam mats from harbor freight under my sump. Not sure if it's necessary from the standpoint of acrylic cracking or instability (I think sump size would play a factor) but it can't hurt. Plus it's easy to wipe up water and salt creep keeping it looking nice. I think a 4x4 section was like $6 or $8 but they have coupons which can make it less.

Kirblit
04-10-2017, 08:14 PM
I do for mine. It's a really good idea for acrylic regardless of sump volume. The foam doesn't really compress at all but it evens out any inconsistency for flat bottom tanks.

moerena
04-10-2017, 09:05 PM
I saw someone on a video using it and since I have never used it, I thought I would see what you guys think. For as cheap as it is I'm going to have to try it. I'm putting my dream tank together so I am taking my time to make sure it is all right.

Kirblit
04-10-2017, 10:02 PM
I saw someone on a video using it and since I have never used it, I thought I would see what you guys think. For as cheap as it is I'm going to have to try it. I'm putting my dream tank together so I am taking my time to make sure it is all right.
Your on the right track! Take your time and learn from OTHERS mistakes instead. Everyone has an opinion on how to do things so take everyone's ideas and make your own decisions on what works for you. I know I take my sweet time with my builds so can do it as well as possible one time.

Murfman
04-11-2017, 10:10 AM
What Kirby said!

moerena
04-11-2017, 10:15 AM
I definitely like to take my time and I am always researching. I've been in the hobby for 8 years s now and I'm always trying to learn something new. If I've learned anything in the hobby it's that patience is key and don't matter how much you think you know someone always knows something you don't. I love asking questions because you never know who has a neat trick or idea that can help you avoid heart ache.