PDA

View Full Version : Diatoms wont go away

notchback5.0
03-14-2017, 07:05 AM
Tank has been up for over 3 months, I have had diatoms for the last 2+ months and it gets worse and worse every day. I currently have no livestock and the tank has been fallow for 7 weeks. I do have 5 snails and 5 crabs. I have been adding ammonia to the tank every few days to keep the bacteria alive and my chaeto appears to be growing at a normal rate so some nitrate is being generated even thought my test isnt detecting it (consumed before testable). I am using ro/di and have 0tds. From what i remember a month was a normal time for diatoms, and 2 months is too long. Ive tried turning off the lights and that helps for 2 days and then its just back again. Im really really tired of looking at crap brown aquarium and it appears I have something feeding it that isnt going away on its own. What can I do to speed up the process. Is there a way I can test for silicates to determine if its coming from my ro/di? On friday I plan on ordering one of the reef cleaner packages to help with the diatoms but there has to be something I can do to speed up this bloom.. I know it takes patience but 2.5 months of diatoms is a little outrageous.. Oh yea.. my lights are on for a 12 hour cycle ramping up to a maximum intensity of 40% at 20k.

static reef
03-14-2017, 07:33 AM
12 hours is a long cycle for a new tank. Switch to 8 and increase to 12 slowly.

Stop with ammonia

Increase CUC

Blackout tank for 4-5 days

Watch this https://youtu.be/P7fKHGG2cs8

Murfman
03-14-2017, 09:08 AM
How are you testing TDS? Test at the RO out, before the DI and again after the DI. What is your TDS coming out of the faucet? Last time TDS meter was calibrated?

notchback5.0
03-14-2017, 09:52 AM
I have 3 different tds meters.. one was just recently calibrated using NACL... I am using a meter that tests after the membrane, and then after the D/I. The prefilters and DI Resin were replaced within the last few weeks but I was getting 0 TDS before changing. I am running 1 micron prefilters and 1 micron carbon block filter. I get an initial spike of about 18 TDS when the unit first turns on, then after it runs for 30 seconds or so, the meter reads 0 TDS out of the membrane and always 0 out of the DI. Other than initial kick on, the TDS are 0 which has always been the case. I will check tonight regarding faucet TDS but last time I checked it was pretty low like around 40. I also would like to point out.. I recently started dosing ammonia in preparation for adding fish in a couple weeks. The diatoms have been thriving for over a month before I started dosing the ammonia so I do not believe it is related to that. Also, i am flowing about 2500 GPH total volume..

Murfman
03-14-2017, 09:58 AM
I'd just turn off the lights and leave em off.

notchback5.0
03-14-2017, 11:40 AM
I'd just turn off the lights and leave em off.

Tried that already Paul... I left the lights off for 2 or 3 days and yes.. it died but a few days later it was right back...

FireDawg56
03-14-2017, 08:08 PM
After you have had the lights out for a period and you don't see the diatoms any more what are you doing to export the excess nutrients out of your sys? multiple water changes, wet skimming, vacuuming???

esmith
03-21-2017, 07:35 PM
siphon them off?

are you feeding the tank anything?

notchback5.0
03-29-2017, 05:16 PM
Picked up a CUC from ReefCleaners and a week later, its gone now.

Joe
03-29-2017, 07:40 PM
Great to hear!