PDA

View Full Version : A local Fish Store Vs Online Fish Stores (equipment purchases)

moerena
03-12-2017, 01:25 PM
When buying equipment it is hard to want to pay more at a store compared to online. If online I can get rewards towards another purchase or sometimes even a cheaper price, why should I pay more at a store. Some of the equipment we buy is a little on the pricey side. I am stuck between supporting our local businesses and getting the better deal. Anything under $10 savings and ill go with my local stores, but if the savings are lets say $50 or more than what to do. I understand stores can not be as competitive as online retailers, but where should we stand? How do you guys make a decision on where to buy?

Kirblit
03-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Sometimes it can be hard but I get most all equipment online. A lot more options and tax free for those big purchases. I don't ever buy livestock online though and I'm willing to pay double the price if need be locally because you know what your getting.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

marcslove
03-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Sometimes it can be hard but I get most all equipment online. A lot more options and tax free for those big purchases. I don't ever buy livestock online though and I'm willing to pay double the price if need be locally because you know what your getting.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

With livestock, my first choice would be a fellow reefer. After that though I have had more luck purchasing fish, etc online. Most have 14 day guarantees unlike the lfs

moerena
03-13-2017, 10:24 AM
I always love being able to get a fish from a fellow reefer. You just have a feeling of security that the fish won't be as stressed.

notchback5.0
03-13-2017, 11:19 AM
I typically buy my equipment online unless i can find a local retailer who sells it. Most of my equipment came from Amazon, but I got my skimmer from a local shop here. I prefer to get my fish local and i find that they are usually cheaper than when ordering online but I plan on buying a large cleanup crew online because bulk orders like that are a lot cheaper.

sweat044
03-13-2017, 03:11 PM
I have bought both online and local. It really depends on what I am hunting for. I have bought corals online and locally. I have bought equipment online and locally. To me locally depends on who the person is and what they have.