PDA

View Full Version : Is this enough floor support for a 90 g tank?

EricM
03-12-2017, 09:28 AM
I want to move my 90 gallon tank from basement to the floor above. House was built in 1999 however the location where I want to situate it is not ideal. It would have floor joists running parallel but I can't tell if the tank would span 2 joists or just one. This post http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?19565-Can-floor-support-tank&highlight=floor suggest that houses supposed to be built to support 250 lb of live weight per square inch.

So the reason I can't determine how many joist lie beneath the tank is because the basement is fully finished but as you see in the attached drawing, behind the tank the wall is load bearing and so I what do know that this wall rests on 2x8 or 2x10 laminated truss. Also, about 5 to 6 feet from the tank to right, these truss rests on the iron I-beam beneath which is pole that supports the beam. So that side is solid, but I'm more concerned about the side adjacent to the stairs.

Thanks for the comments in advance.

static reef
03-12-2017, 11:11 PM
Your 100% correct. 250 lbs is the min requiremnt. With the link that you posted, I broke down the rough weights of what you can guesstimate that you have. Perpindicular would be better but I wouldn't worry about a 75 gallon on a parallel subfloor at all. No issues brother. Reef on.