PDA

View Full Version : DC return pump recommendations

esmith
02-24-2017, 03:48 PM
So two years ago I purchased a Jebao DC-6000. It has recently begun not starting up again after a power failure, or turning it off to clean the sump for example. Went online, looks like the same problem many people are having. If I take the cover off and manually start moving the impeller, it will fire up and pump water just fine, until the next time it's turned off or loses power.

So my question is, is there another brand that has similar features but is of higher quality, or should I just get another pump like this one and assume it will fail after a year or two?

charleshardy5
02-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Ecotech vectra pumps, have an m1, love the thing, hasn't let me down

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Joe
02-24-2017, 06:22 PM
I have several Jebao return pumps that have been running for over two years. I use DC-12000 and DC-9000, and added a DCT-15000 recently. I run two as return pumps for the display, one in my RO 55 gallon barrel, one in my 55 gallon salt mixing barrel, one for my UV, and now one as a return for my shallow reef. The DC-12000 is way overkill for my shallow reef return, so I just ordered a DCT-6000 to use for it. Overall, I've had two power supplies fail, and one pump fail to turn like you mentioned. I was looking at that one that failed recently, and when I took it apart, the o-ring was flattened on one side and pulled into the impeller. I'm thinking a binding o-ring could have been the problem in the first place with it, but I haven't tried replacing it and seeing if it works yet. Have you checked the o-ring?

Anyway, for me, the overall plan has been to use the cheap Jebao pumps and go ahead and have a replacement on hand in case one fails. So far my cost for multiples with backups has been less than buying other more expensive pumps, which could fail too. Not everyone will share this opinion, but for me, I like having spares sitting ready, and think the Jebao route makes a lot of sense. Even if I burn my spares, I am using multiples of the same pump, so I can take a pump out of my water barrel to replace a return pump at any time if I have to. I couldn't afford to employ this strategy with more expensive pumps. I have about 3 Jaebos for the price of one of the other DC pumps I looked at. Actually with the DCT-12000 I can get 3.68 pumps for the price of one of the others. I have entire spare pumps and multiple spare parts for anything that happens.

esmith
03-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Good point, if I have a hot spare that's pretty handy. I'm worried the office might lose power over a weekend when I'm not here and then kick back on quickly but the pump will be 'locked' up at that point and not working.

Balz3352
03-01-2017, 04:55 PM
I have wavelines kinda the middle ground. Im happy with them I have a really small one recirculating my fresh saltwater. It's been continuously on low for 2 years and occasionally ramped up to give a good mix to it.

I also have a bigger one for my manifold running frag tank, carbon, gfo, uv sterilizer, and ats.

notchback5.0
03-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Im running a Jebao dct-9000 at about 50%. I also ordered a second that is use to pump my fresh saltwater from the basement up into my tank. For the price i feel they are the best option. If I had a 300$ pump, I still would have a backup so for me its not really not an issue.