PDA

View Full Version : 29 Gallon Sump

sweat044
02-21-2017, 03:07 AM
I am getting ready to put together a 29 gallon sump. Anyone that knows me knows I AM NOT HANDY. With that being said what are my options?

Wants in sump
30lbs live rock
Chaeto
Maybe Skimmer

Do I need chambers? Could I just put the tank under and accomplish this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

the haj
02-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Something's to think about if you just put the tank under the stand without baffles or chambers. Micro bubbles getting blown into your display tank, the possibility of Chaeto getting sucked into your return pump.

Joe
02-21-2017, 11:36 AM
Anyone that knows me knows I AM NOT HANDY. With that being said what are my options?

I would say you are screwed.

Jadam3085
02-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Definitely need chambers, I'd try for the biggest that you can fit in your space. Lowes and Home Depot sell acrylic sheets- cut them to fit and silicone the stuff. Make sure that you use silicone without the mold resistance- fish shops in town sell the silicone too. Baffles will also help keep water level in your skimmer chamber consistent height so that the skimmer doesn't go crazy on you when your water level changes

Joe
02-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Just kidding. you can easily add the baffles yourself, and they don't need to be thick since they won't be holding back a lot of water weight. it's really pretty straightforward, and you can just replicate the baffle layout from any of the commercial sumps out there.

notchback5.0
02-21-2017, 03:13 PM
Baffling a 29 is extremely easy. I have a 29g as my sump under my 65g. I will be using the same sump when i replace my 65 with an 84g. Space the baffles 1.25 inches apart to slow the water speed down inside the baffles to reduce the pull of the micro bubbles from chamber to chamber. My baffles are made of 1/4 inch glass and the sump starting depth is about 12 inches and drops to about 10.5 inches in the final chamber I have a skimmer, sock filter, large return pump, ATO and huge chaeto/liverock chamber. You should be able to fit everything you need in there.

sweat044
02-22-2017, 12:57 PM
Yep. Sounds real easy. LOL I might try this as though it seems like it is a nice sump/fuge.

Baffling a 29 is extremely easy. I have a 29g as my sump under my 65g. I will be using the same sump when i replace my 65 with an 84g. Space the baffles 1.25 inches apart to slow the water speed down inside the baffles to reduce the pull of the micro bubbles from chamber to chamber. My baffles are made of 1/4 inch glass and the sump starting depth is about 12 inches and drops to about 10.5 inches in the final chamber I have a skimmer, sock filter, large return pump, ATO and huge chaeto/liverock chamber. You should be able to fit everything you need in there.

maxthedog2000
02-22-2017, 05:24 PM
I made my sump with glass panels from Lowe's super easy, I have a scoring blade if you need to borrow it to cut any glass to fit... My problem now is should I add a second set of baffles to separate my return pump and other equipment

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hydroid
02-22-2017, 10:13 PM
I made a 29 gallon dump with glass from lowes it was my first diy sump. When I made my 60 gallon sump I found I could get custom cut and thicker glass from city glass cheaper then the glass from lowes. That was a few years ago so don't know how prices are now