PDA

View Full Version : Canister filter needed??

marcslove
01-23-2017, 12:58 PM
I have a couple reef tanks that don't have room for a sump. One is a 50g and the other is a 20g. I was always under the impression that a canister filter was needed. I am reading that with a protein skimmer and sufficient LR you could do without the additional filtration. Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Murfman
01-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Live rock is where your biological filtration is living. Skimmer removes organics that have dissolved in the water (Foam at the beach). As long as you have enough live rock, you don't even need a skimmer, as long as you do water changes or you have a system in which the animals feed on the waste of the other living things in the tank.

Kirblit
01-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Canister filters are probably the worst thing you could do on a reef tank actually. They cause more of a nutrient problem than anything.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

turbojoe
01-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Consider a good hang on the back protein skimmer if you can't do a sump.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

moerena
01-23-2017, 11:30 PM
I would do an aquaclear for the ability to polish the water or run carbon when needed. I had a 75 gallon that did great with a hob protein skimmer and a aq 110

charleshardy5
01-24-2017, 01:44 AM
Meh, I'm bout to run a canister on a small reef, I'd say it's no worries if you do your regular maintenance. Water changes, pull apart the filter, change media, clean out any detritus buildup. No different than a sump in my opinion, extra water volume, place to hold any filtration stuff, just no place for macros. Letcha know how it turns out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

moerena
01-24-2017, 08:18 AM
As long as you clean it regularly you will be fine. I've ran them before and I use to clean it once a week. It gets dirty quick so you want to make sure your cleaning it. Most forget and that is where the problems begin.

scrumpto
01-26-2017, 05:03 PM
I have a couple reef tanks that don't have room for a sump. One is a 50g and the other is a 20g. I was always under the impression that a canister filter was needed. I am reading that with a protein skimmer and sufficient LR you could do without the additional filtration. Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Speaking of water quality only (not availability of calcium and the like):
Any form of filtration simply elongates the time between water changes. The more filtration, the greater the period between water changes. Conversely, if you frequently change out 50% of the water in your tank you don't need a lot of filtration.

Canister filters can be problematic in SW tanks because they're rarely maintained. If you think about it though, it's just another form of filtration so it all depends on what you put in it and how you maintain it. The problem with them is that they trap the stuff you want to remove and it's not removed until you clean it out. By contrast a protein skimmer simply removes waste products which is why it's preferred. Generally SW people will use reactors and run various media in them. It's similar to a canister filter except that you're generally only running carbon and the link instead of filter floss.

Enjoy!