PDA

View Full Version : Sps and coloration

Coral Xpressions
08-25-2016, 12:23 AM
So I know doyle and I have spoken a few times on what we think are important for sps on growth and coloration. I'd come to the belief it was lighting as much as it was water and that there was a certain light to nutrient level though I couldn't recall (i.e. high light lower nutrient or something).

Came across this read a bit ago and it seems to make some good sense and I haven't seen info like this here so thought I'd post it up for your reading pleasure.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2253547

Side note is that while I added halides, and algea scrubbers and tripled my filtration, I also kept my alk between 7.7 and 8.2 dkh and that was when I noticed coloration and growth like I'd never seen before. Before I killed anything anyways...different story lol

Now let's discuss

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Kirblit
08-25-2016, 08:26 AM
I didn't follow the link so it may be in there but;

High light/higher alk/higher nutrients

Low light/lower alk/lower nutrients

Basically the higher the nutrients are the more light the corals can use because there is food available. If there isn't enough food and too much light sps will pale or STN. You are basically making them grow without food because of the light intensity and the zoozanthelle will start to leave. If there isn't enough light and too many nutrients corals brown because of too much zoozanthelle in their tissue. Alk is important for growth rates. If alk is high and there are not enough nutrients then you will get burnt tips (white skeleton) because the skeleton will grow faster than the tissue.

Look up the Redfield ratio, it's really good info. Ulns benefit from nitrate dosing with potassium nitrate. I have had success with a friend's tank doing this. I have never had a Ulns personally because I tend to overfeed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Alexander.Africa
09-01-2016, 11:04 PM
So I know doyle and I have spoken a few times on what we think are important for sps on growth and coloration. I'd come to the belief it was lighting as much as it was water and that there was a certain light to nutrient level though I couldn't recall (i.e. high light lower nutrient or something).

Came across this read a bit ago and it seems to make some good sense and I haven't seen info like this here so thought I'd post it up for your reading pleasure.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2253547

Side note is that while I added halides, and algea scrubbers and tripled my filtration, I also kept my alk between 7.7 and 8.2 dkh and that was when I noticed coloration and growth like I'd never seen before. Before I killed anything anyways...different story lol

Now let's discuss

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Great read.

TheGreat1