PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to be looking for...

SlidingYeti
08-24-2016, 01:27 PM
So I would like to pick up a UV setup and need a proper sump, but have no idea what I am looking at. Also what is the proper way to figure out the size of needed sump does it go off of the size of the tank or what I would possibly have room for in the stand. I live in an apartment to that kind of takes away from some of the ideas I have seen you guys do.

The tank is a 90 gallon non drilled unit. As of right now the sump is a Tupperware tote that came with the set up. The media in said sump is ceramic rings with a protein skimmer as well. I would like to do a refuge set up but that is farther down the road I feel.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160824/ccdc43c3912dab281f8e84387b70d975.jpg

live life sideways

Just_Tim
08-24-2016, 03:24 PM
For a uv sterilizer buy as big as your budget allows. For sump sizing I would do a 40 breeder if you go that route. Or if you do a manufactured sump a 30 gallon minimum.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Kirblit
08-24-2016, 03:37 PM
Always go as big as you can with your sump. Bigger is always better because you will be adding equipment as you go. The main thing to consider though is making sure the operating level in the sump is low enough to hold the amount of water that will drain back from the returns when the pump is turned off. I don't really care what anyone ever tells you about a check valve they will ALWAYS fail eventually. Don't ever trust a check valve if you value your floor.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

SlidingYeti
08-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Ok well the uv setup seems easy in that case.

Far as the sump goes does it have to be a long setup? I am only asking as my stand has a board in the center of it that basically cuts it in half. I don't know if I would be comfortable removing it with the weight of the tank literally supported on three sides with no center brace. Sorry for all the questions I just want to be sure I am doing things right and not short cutting.

live life sideways

Kirblit
08-24-2016, 05:59 PM
Questions are what we are all about, we all had to start somewhere too and would like to pass on whatever knowledge we can. There is no reason you have to have a long sump but it does work better. The best I can tell you about taking the brace out is; well, it depends. Stand construction is be the big question, especially for a 90 gal. That would be up to you and how you could brace it if possible, others may have more experience here but it's really up to your comfort level on this and if the stand is real wood or mdf.

Just_Tim
08-24-2016, 06:04 PM
+1 ^^
Go as big with your sump as you can is my advice. Reef equipment takes up a lot of sump space. Diy sumps are very easy and I would offer to help you any weekend of your choosing.

Bpfish
08-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Personally, I would get as long a tank as will fit in the cabinet and remove the front center brace long enough to slide the tank in and replace. I know many people that only support tanks from the ends only and have no issues. Stand construction will obviously dictate if this is even a possibility. I wouldn't keep it out long term myself but a short period without the center brace is probably ok. I would Go diy on the sump and make it exactly how you want it or if the budget allows you can have someone else build a custom sump/fuge for you.

Sent from my LG-H901

Joe
08-24-2016, 09:10 PM
I have a 180 gallon sump on my 350 tank and I wish it was bigger. Larger water volume makes life easier in my opinion. it's more forgiving if you do something stupid like I have and leave an alkalinity pump on or something. DIY works fine.

SlidingYeti
08-24-2016, 11:42 PM
Personally, I would get as long a tank as will fit in the cabinet and remove the front center brace long enough to slide the tank in and replace. I know many people that only support tanks from the ends only and have no issues. Stand construction will obviously dictate if this is even a possibility. I wouldn't keep it out long term myself but a short period without the center brace is probably ok. I would Go diy on the sump and make it exactly how you want it or if the budget allows you can have someone else build a custom sump/fuge for you.

Sent from my LG-H901
Its not just for the front. It runs the width of the tank and the whole back side is open.

+1 ^^
Go as big with your sump as you can is my advice. Reef equipment takes up a lot of sump space. Diy sumps are very easy and I would offer to help you any weekend of your choosing.

I am going to start looking for the things needed for a sump build. First is figuring out a new type of brace so I am not so constricted on sizing.

Questions are what we are all about, we all had to start somewhere too and would like to pass on whatever knowledge we can. There is no reason you have to have a long sump but it does work better. The best I can tell you about taking the brace out is; well, it depends. Stand construction is be the big question, especially for a 90 gal. That would be up to you and how you could brace it if possible, others may have more experience here but it's really up to your comfort level on this and if the stand is real wood or mdf.

That is the hard part, remaking braces but I figure if I can build a safe roll cage then I should be able to figure out a new brace.

I have a 180 gallon sump on my 350 tank and I wish it was bigger. Larger water volume makes life easier in my opinion. it's more forgiving if you do something stupid like I have and leave an alkalinity pump on or something. DIY works fine.
That doesn't sound like a good thing to have happen. I will definitely keep that in mind with this portion of "upgrading"the system.

Also thank you guys for the advice and offers to help. I'm sure you all will be hearing from me a lot with more questions as I go.

live life sideways