PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you program your Apex wrong

Joe
07-28-2016, 03:13 PM
So, I just got back from 6 days on the road. Just before I left I decided to automate the vinegar (carbon) dosing I had been doing manually. I set up my doser and programmed my Apex to deliver a dose spread out over several hours a day. I intended 75ml between 1300 and 1600. I was in a hurry and distracted. What I actually programmed was for the doser to be OFF during those hours and instead deliver 25ml per hour EVERY other hour of the day and night. That delivered 7 times the dose I wanted, or 525ml a day. Would you pour 17.75 ounces of vinegar into your tank every day for almost a week? Any idea what would happen if you did?

I had a bacteria bloom that turned my tank glass and many other surfaces white with stringy slime - a LOT of it. Surprise! That's all it did. I don't lose anything! I blasted off the slime with a big baster, turned my pumps up, and have replaced the filter socks many times as they caught the junk. My skimmer was blasting overtime, but I had it turned down low so I didn't lose water volume. I had a big stack of pretty dry foam on the top of it, but no mess on the floor.

My overflows had started getting some green algae and it's all gone now. My rocks look nice and healthy. The water is clear. The fish are happy. the corals are happy. I'm happy. I'm down almost a gallon of vinegar compared to what I expected to see when I came home, but that's it.

To simplify this for the lowest common denominator here: Joe was dumb. Joe was lucky. Joe was the lowest common denominator.

https://leighchristian.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/feeling-lucky.jpg

jjmoneyman
07-28-2016, 03:19 PM
Wow. I'm lazy so I just run bio pellets.

Xyz from my silly phone.

Joe
07-28-2016, 04:01 PM
I used pellets before and didn't hook them up when I switched tanks. I think I like vinegar dosing more now. I've been doing it manually and decided I should automate it since I was going to be gone. All would have been well if I had taken the time to set it up earlier and paid attention. I'm much smarter now!

JimG
07-28-2016, 04:52 PM
Maybe you should drink a cup of coffee every now and then Joe. I hear it does wonders for some people.

Seriously though, I'm glad everything is okay.

Joe
07-28-2016, 09:41 PM
I'd rather dump a gallon of vinegar in a day than drink coffee, or drink a cup of vinegar and dump a gallon of coffee in. It's the thought that counts though, so thanks.