PDA

View Full Version : Uses for waste saltwater

JMEYER0503
07-14-2016, 10:17 AM
I was thinking:
My water changes average 10 - 20 Gallons a week - Some of you average much more
What can be some uses for the saltwater?

- I know in small amounts, watered down, it makes a good fertilizer for the lawn. The con of this is the salt buildup.
- Can this be used to help cure rock? Assuming that the amount is enough to prevent ammonia buildup
- What other uses have people found for the waste water?

I am trying to avoid dumping it down into my septic system. Right now I have started dumping it on my gravel driveway to inhibit growth of plants. Trees are nearby so I don't want that to build up and kill them. I am also worried about runoff spreading the salt further.

I'm sure anyone who has a tank has pondered this and was curious on ideas and solutions.

Levi
07-14-2016, 10:28 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2093977

Great read and a plethora of ideas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Murfman
07-14-2016, 04:18 PM
What is this water change you speak of????

Joe
07-14-2016, 05:40 PM
I have my water changes happening mostly through wet skimming now, and it drains out automatically. When I want to change more, it goes out the drain with one turn of a valve, so it would take more work to save it than it does now. When I was using buckets to do changes, I just dumped it out in my back yard to water the grass and it helped instead of hurting the grass. I suppose it's different from tank to tank or region to region.

Kirblit
07-14-2016, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't put it in your septic either. The magnesium can bind with phosphates in anaerobic conditions and cause struvite precipitation. I just dump mine on gravel where I don't want weeds to grow.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

JMEYER0503
07-14-2016, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't put it in your septic either. The magnesium can bind with phosphates inane Robin conditions and cause struggle precipitation. I just dump mine on gravel where I don't want weeds to grow.

Reading the link above it gave me some good options. I wonder how well waste water would work to cook live rock? and would the Phosphates that I currently have hurt it?

Kirblit
07-14-2016, 08:59 PM
Wow, fixed my above post. That was pretty much shenanigans from what you quoted to what I meant to type!

JMEYER0503
07-14-2016, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't put it in your septic either. The magnesium can bind with phosphates inane Robin conditions and cause struggle precipitation. I just dump mine on gravel where I don't want weeds to grow.

Reading the link above it gave me some good options. I wonder how well waste water would work to cook live rock? and would the Phosphates that I currently have hurt it?