PDA

View Full Version : High TDS

marcslove
06-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Ok, so I have a crappy RO unit. I can not get my post membrane tds below 40. I have tried new filters, checked pressure, let water run then checked. Does anyone else have high tds readings. I am in the process of researching new units, but don't want same problem with new unit. I am burning through di way too fast:icon_neutral:

Murfman
06-06-2016, 06:59 PM
What is your measurement going in? Just past the RO unit? Do you have a DI cartridge on it?

Kirblit
06-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Ok, so I have a crappy RO unit. I can not get my post membrane tds below 40. I have tried new filters, checked pressure, let water run then checked. Does anyone else have high tds readings. I am in the process of researching new units, but don't want same problem with new unit. I am burning through di way too fast:icon_neutral:
Are you on a well? Well water chews through di. Like Murph asked what's your tds in? You may need a new membrane. Ro should remove 98% of whatever the in tds is.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

FireDawg56
06-06-2016, 10:57 PM
I know about hard water I live in Security and my pre RO water sucks! But with all those changes you have done when did you have your TDS meter calibrated?

marcslove
06-07-2016, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the responses. Out of tap is 470. I am not sure about well water or not. Out of my di is 0, but I'm only getting 100g or so from a full cartridge. I bought bulk di off ebay, so a full refill cartridge runs about $3. The membrane is not that old. I bought it from Bush maybe 6 months ago. I am hoping everything is set up properly...there really isn't a lot to screw up, but it's def a possibility. Oh, my tds meter is a crappy one, but does seem to be reading just fine.

Murfman
06-07-2016, 06:42 AM
I would check TDS coming out of the RO unit, before the DI. Chorline and Chloramine are what kill the RO membrane. You might end up having to change your carbon filters or adding a second. I'd go with 1 block and 1 Crushed carbon, after the sediment filter.

Kirblit
06-07-2016, 10:25 AM
I would check TDS coming out of the RO unit, before the DI. Chorline and Chloramine are what kill the RO membrane. You might end up having to change your carbon filters or adding a second. I'd go with 1 block and 1 Crushed carbon, after the sediment filter.
X2

If you are on city water are there chloramines in your tap water or just chlorine in the springs? You can call your water service and ask them. It makes a difference in the kind of carbon filters you should be using. Like Paul said chlorine will destroy a ro membrane if it's making it through your carbon.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

lsaint
06-07-2016, 10:59 AM
something like this kit would work http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-stage-chloramines-upgrade-kit.html

marcslove
06-07-2016, 12:01 PM
tds is 40 out of membrane. Not sure about Cherokee water, I'll have to look into it.
Just changed both filters, Prob gonna get a new unit soon

lsaint
06-07-2016, 03:20 PM
So i emailed the director 4r Canyon City Water District and they use chlorine. "We use only chlorine for that purpose. An average disinfectant residual across our Distribution System is 1.0 mg/L." Not sure if that's good or bad

Sent from the world of 100110