PDA

View Full Version : Triton Water report for my tank. Thoughts?

Joe
05-03-2016, 09:30 AM
I used some of my Perk Rewards points to order a Triton water test from Amazon. Here are the results.

Full list of results. http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27130797/doc.pdf

Warnings:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27130797/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-03%20at%209.32.53%20AM.png

So water experts, what do you think?

morrisjtja
05-03-2016, 11:17 AM
I used some of my Perk Rewards points to order a Triton water test from Amazon. Here are the results.

Warnings:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27130797/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-03%20at%209.32.53%20AM.png

Sorry for hijacking your post lol. I still have that rock if you still need it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Joe
05-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Yes. The tank for Ryan isn't ready yet. If you need me to get the rock out of your way, I can come get it. If you don't mind holding it, they will still need it.

lsaint
05-03-2016, 01:59 PM
I have used there test too. I feel like they test for too much stuff. I like the aqua medic water testing and + they are in loveland so the water doesent sit for a few weeks

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 09:04 PM

All the important stuff looks good except mag is pretty high. I can't comment on most of it though as I just don't understand the need to test all of the parameters that in depth. Do you regularly add supplements to augment certain parameters to get them where you want them? I'm just curious what the numbers "should" be or what you are trying to get them to.

I guess I'm pretty old school in my approach to reefing. I try to keep the major stuff in check and do regular maintenance. I'm a huge believer in regular water changes with a good quality salt to supplement the other stuff. I just don't feel good about adding a bunch of things in just to shoot for numbers that I can't regularly test for. I know many people would disagree with me but that's just my approach and I have had good results.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

static reef
05-03-2016, 09:23 PM
All the important stuff looks good except mag is pretty high. I can't comment on most of it though as I just don't understand the need to test all of the parameters that in depth. Do you regularly add supplements to augment certain parameters to get them where you want them? I'm just curious what the numbers "should" be or what you are trying to get them to.

I guess I'm pretty old school in my approach to reefing. I try to keep the major stuff in check and do regular maintenance. I'm a huge believer in regular water changes with a good quality salt to supplement the other stuff. I just don't feel good about adding a bunch of things in just to shoot for numbers that I can't regularly test for. I know many people would disagree with me but that's just my approach and I have had good results.

Plus 1. Well said.

My only question would be the salinity. Are there numbers to go with risk? Is your salinity in comparison to a fowlr tank maybe?

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 09:33 PM
Plus 1. Well said.

My only question would be the salinity. Are there numbers to go with risk? Is your salinity in comparison to a fowlr tank maybe?
I saw that too for the Na (sodium), but I didn't know if it would be a huge concern or not as saltwater is mostly chloride salts of other things besides NaCl.

Joe
05-04-2016, 11:40 AM
I increased magnesium on purpose to help wth some algae issues, I'll be letting it go back down it's own. Trying to figure out where the Lithium and boron increase came from. Lithium is way high.

Not sure about the NA. My calibrated refractometer is showing proper total salinity. I think it may just be an imbalance with magnesium taking a larger pice of the total salinity, therefore I add less salt water overall. My guess it NA will move up as a percentage as MG goes down.

I did the test for kicks, using some of my gift card points.

Kirblit
05-04-2016, 02:25 PM
I increased magnesium on purpose to help wth some algae issues, I'll be letting it go back down it's own. Trying to figure out where the Lithium and boron increase came from. Lithium is way high.

Not sure about the NA. My calibrated refractometer is showing proper total salinity. I think it may just be an imbalance with magnesium taking a larger pice of the total salinity, therefore I add less salt water overall. My guess it NA will move up as a percentage as MG goes down.

I did the test for kicks, using some of my gift card points.
I don't know where the lithium could come from. Could it be from some of the custom rock stuff you did on your tank?

Joe
05-05-2016, 11:58 PM
I don't think it's from the rock. Maybe from my calcium dosing. I found the info below that shows how much lithium is in dow flake (which I use for my calcium) and it is the equivalent of adding 2ppm over a year. My amount is 5.781ppm, which based on what I read below shouldn't have any negative effects:

Lithium does not seem to pose as much of a toxicity concern as many other ions, but in three of the samples (Dow, Warner, ESV) it is greatly elevated. Over a year, each of these would add about 2 ppm lithium, or 12 times the natural level. Is that too much? I am not sure. In a prior analysis of artificial salt mixes, Craig Bingman found that two salt mixes started out with greatly elevated lithium levels (90X over natural levels for Coralife and 6X for Seachem, with the others ranging from 1.5X - 3.1X). Typical aquaria surveyed by Ron Shimek contained about 0.6 ppm of lithium (3X over natural seawater) with a range from 0.015 ppm (0.08X) - 7 ppm (39 X).

It is well known that excess lithium has significant adverse effects of the development of sea urchin embryos,1,2 and many studies have been carried out in this area. The amount of lithium used in those studies, however, is typically around 500-3,000 ppm. It has also been shown that 345 ppm of lithium will result in death of the isopod limnoria.3

So while 2 ppm lithium delivered by these samples is greatly increased over the natural levels of 0.18 ppm, it is still small compared to the hundreds of ppm required to show toxic effects. Given that gap, and the fact that the lithium levels will likely be attenuated by water changes, I conclude that the lithium in these calcium chloride samples is not an excessive risk. Nevertheless, that is something that each aquarist can decide for themselves.

Murfman
05-06-2016, 05:11 AM
At least your fish are not depressed!