PDA

View Full Version : In wall build lessons/advice

Kirblit
05-02-2016, 09:29 PM
I'm in the planning stages of doing a 300 gallon in wall tank and roughly 12x15 ft fish room in my basement. I'm looking for anyone that has an in wall tank or has had one in the past to give me their ideas and experiences no matter what size tank. Any pictures that you have available of your setup would be greatly appreciated.

I have a pretty solid plan so far but I'm sure people have some things they would do over if they did it again.

I will have front access to everything no question and will have two ventilation fans in the room. One fan will run constantly and discharge back into the basement to keep heat and humidity in the house when I want it. I will also have one connected to a humidistat and it will vent outside in the summer months.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Joe
05-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Kirby,

I tore out a wall and built my tank in place of one. Thread here: http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?14582-Joe-s-530-Gallon-System-Build

You can stop by and check it out if you want. I'm still not done with it. It's the longest build ever.

xsocali
05-03-2016, 01:15 AM
Check out Marty's build under Ritmar.

Levi
05-03-2016, 04:38 AM
You should check out Joe's build in person to really appreciate the thought that has gone into the in wall build he has done

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge

Murfman
05-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Kirby, link to my build in my signature. Lessons learned; 1) have a window near by to vent CO2 in winter. CO2 drives down pH in the tank since it settles at the lowest point. 2)leave room to get sump in and out from the side, front, or back of the stand. 3) have enough room from your plumbing to get your skimmer in and out for maintenance. 4) water alarms!

static reef
05-03-2016, 08:24 AM
No in wall for me, but I know you will be adding an apex. Start research chord legnths and apex capabilities. Should help you out for chord management and a possible backer board for all electronics

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Kirby,

I tore out a wall and built my tank in place of one. Thread here: http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?14582-Joe-s-530-Gallon-System-Build

You can stop by and check it out if you want. I'm still not done with it. It's the longest build ever.
Yea I definitely want to come check this out in person sometime.

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 08:51 AM
Kirby, link to my build in my signature. Lessons learned; 1) have a window near by to vent CO2 in winter. CO2 drives down pH in the tank since it settles at the lowest point. 2)leave room to get sump in and out from the side, front, or back of the stand. 3) have enough room from your plumbing to get your skimmer in and out for maintenance. 4) water alarms!
Good points. I should be good with pH due to the ventilation and my tank currently doesn't have any issues. I know I did have issues at my last house for sure because it was smaller. I could sit and watch my pH drop whenever I had people over.

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 08:56 AM
No in wall for me, but I know you will be adding an apex. Start research chord legnths and apex capabilities. Should help you out for chord management and a possible backer board for all electronics
Wow, I didn't know they offered musical capabilities as well. What is the best chord they have, is it platinum hit? Sorry, I couldn't resist [emoji3].

Yes, Def going to run an Apex. Do they offer different cord lengths?

static reef
05-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Im in the army. Im not a wordmatician. Different usb lengths but the power "cords" are about 6'.

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Im in the army. Im not a wordmatician. Different usb lengths but the power "cords" are about 6'.
I'm not either. You will get your chance to catch me on something in the future for sure lol.

Yea I need to plan out all the electrical and netork as well. The Apex doesn't have WiFi correct? I'm going to wait until the basement is all framed up before I get too serious about it though. I know I'm going to prob have 4 dedicated 20 amp circuits for my fish room so I don't overload anything. Def the downfall of running MH lights. I'll have 2 circuits tied up just for lighting and heaters.

Murfman
05-03-2016, 12:19 PM
Why MH?

Coral Xpressions
05-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Why MH?
Because corals love them

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Why MH?
Well actually it will be MH & LED/T5 or VHO to be exact. Come on Paul, you know I will never do led [emoji2]. I have great color and growth with halides, so I don't want to change it. I will even run 2 of them on my frag system. I will however prob do led on my anemone cube tank when I plumb that into the system. In a few years.