PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated eerrrr

morrisjtja
05-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Seriously about to lose my cool. I did a big water change on the tank tonight to clear out the medication. Then I took apart the canister filter to clean it get it put back together the water put back in the tank everything's good to go and I'm not getting any flow through the canister filter. So I take the whole thing apart clean out the hoses and everything else put it back together and now I can't get the darn thing to stop leaking I'm not talking a dribble I'm talking waterfall. And on top of that my protein skimmer is filling my tank with a whole heap of micro-bubbles. I empty the skimmer completely put it back in the tank let it soak up the clean water and that didn't work. I slowed how much water the pump would suck in hoping that would work, nope! so as of now all I have running in the tank is the heater and a hang over the back filter which is nowhere near good enough to filter the tank.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160502/c4166038a13f188a872a8d0e28847625.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Murfman
05-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Where is the canister filter leaking from? The seam where the cover meets the body? If so, use Vaseline to seal the O ring at the joint.

marcslove
05-02-2016, 06:36 AM
Could be gasket isn't seated properly...especially if it wasn't leaking before. It would do that if one of the clasps holding it closed broke also, I know from personal experience. Stay calm, it happens to everyone. I was doing a simple water change, like you, last year. Went to close filter, snap, one of my clips broke...aahhhhh!! Emergency run to Petco, $100 later, lesson learned

morrisjtja
05-02-2016, 05:16 PM
It's leaking from one of the clips. I used Vaseline before but it's not working now

FireDawg56
05-02-2016, 05:53 PM
if you can get to a lowes or a Home Depot they sell a small container of clear faucet thread silicon, it is food grade so safe to use. I use it on all my seals and it has never failed me.

morrisjtja
05-02-2016, 09:31 PM
if you can get to a lowes or a Home Depot they sell a small container of clear faucet thread silicon, it is food grade so safe to use. I use it on all my seals and it has never failed me.
Thanks, I will get some. I got it working and so far, no leaking. * fingers crossed*

morrisjtja
05-03-2016, 09:06 PM
I still can't get my skimmer to stop filling the tank with bubbles. I have the skimmer and pump at the lowest setting since yesterday and no improvement. Suggestions?

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 09:11 PM
I still can't get my skimmer to stop filling the tank with bubbles. I have the skimmer and pump at the lowest setting since yesterday and no improvement. Suggestions?

I'm going to assume you are running a HOB skimmer because you are using a canister filter? If that is the case then I would say maybe put a small foam piece or media bag on the discharge of the skimmer maybe? If you have a sump I would say add a baffle in front of your return pump. Could you take a picture of the skimmer on the tank and post? May give some more info.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

morrisjtja
05-03-2016, 09:13 PM
I'm going to assume you are running a HOB skimmer because you are using a canister filter? If that is the case then I would say maybe put a small foam piece or media bag on the discharge of the skimmer maybe? If you have a sump I would say add a baffle in front of your return pump.

Yes it's a hob. I have always run media in the discharge cup and replaced the one in there tonight with a new one, doesn't seem to make a difference.

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Yes it's a hob. I have always run media in the discharge cup and replaced the one in there tonight with a new one, doesn't seem to make a difference.

Could you take a pic of the skimmer setup for me so I would have a better idea of what it looks like?

morrisjtja
05-03-2016, 09:16 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160504/612469ba19c12071b6c73b61cbc92199.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160504/af91f7da67af9be2c15a3c8f81896379.jpg

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 09:23 PM
I looked up an old post you had about it. It's a coralife hob with that discharge box right? Can you adjust the hight of the box so it overflows out rather than just bubbling out of the box? Have you tried some sponge or media bag over/in it to catch the bubbles?

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Sorry just saw pics. OK, so most of the water comes out that grating in the bottom right corner correct? You may have to stuff some foam sponge, piece of filter sock, media bag, etc in there to make more water go UP and out. If you do that you may want to lower that box down a little in case of overflow. The idea is to get the bubbles to the surface before a powerhead pushes the around.

morrisjtja
05-03-2016, 09:39 PM
Sorry just saw pics. OK, so most of the water comes out that grating in the bottom right corner correct? You may have to stuff some foam sponge, piece of filter sock, media bag, etc in there to make more water go UP and out. If you do that you may want to lower that box down a little in case of overflow. The idea is to get the bubbles to the surface before a powerhead pushes the around.

I will shove another piece in there and see what happens, the discharge cup always overflows no matter how I set the cup

static reef
05-03-2016, 09:46 PM
I will shove another piece in there and see what happens, the discharge cup always overflows no matter how I set the cup

This is more troublesome then micro bubbles in the display. From the looks of the collection cup, you are def running wet. I would recommend adjusting your water level down but by bit until your skim meat is black and dry.

*Edit- are you topping off your tank daily? The height of water on top of your pump will adjust the water level in your skimmer as well.

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 09:50 PM

Could you put something around the whole cup like a filter sock or media bag? This would help contain the bubbles.

Is there any way to adjust the internals of the skimmer? From pictures I looked at online it looks like there is some sort of clear bubble chamber inside to contain the bubbles from getting to the effluent area and have them go up towards the collection cup. Is that how it works? Is there a short circuit happening where bubbles are coming out where they aren't supposed to. You never had this problem before you cleaned it did you? You may have jumbled something when you moved it?

morrisjtja
05-03-2016, 09:58 PM
The skimmer is set on the lowest setting and the pump won't sick water if I turn it down anymore. I don't have anything I can put around the cup, right now but I will see if I have anything that would do until I can get something proper.

Kirblit
05-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Did you have any issues before you cleaned the skimmer? What changed that caused the bubbles to start in the first place? Might be something small thats being overlooked.

morrisjtja
05-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Minor bubbles before but cleaning the media in the cup always worked. This all started after a water change since I was medicating the tank. I emptied and cleaned the skimmer when I did the change to get rid of the medicated water in the skimmer. The only thing I can think of is it's taking a lot longer than usual to prime again. Most of today It wasn't producing foam, but it is now. I have filtration for roughly 130-140 gallons running in the tank now, I'm seriously thinking of unplugging the skimmer and waiting until I can get the sump set up to start it again.

Aquatic Art Inc.
05-04-2016, 07:36 AM
Were you medicating with Chemi-clean? Some medications especially chemi-clean will cause micro bubbles until you get all the medication out of the system. Run some carbon on the system, let it have time to pull all the meds out and then try your skimmer again.

morrisjtja
05-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Were you medicating with Chemi-clean? Some medications especially chemi-clean will cause micro bubbles until you get all the medication out of the system. Run some carbon on the system, let it have time to pull all the meds out and then try your skimmer again.
No I used melafix. I did a 50% water change and I am running carbon. I will replace the carbon next week and see if it helps.