PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer help please

morrisjtja
04-18-2016, 04:10 PM
My skimmer isn't sucking air in, there for isn't producing bubbles. Took the whole thing apart and cleaned it out. If I blow into the intake tube air flows and bubbles happen but will not do it on its own. Solutions? Suggestions?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Murfman
04-18-2016, 04:18 PM
What kind of skimmer? impeller broken? Sounds like it is not sucking hard enough to get air into the mixing chamber. Check the opening where the air hose meets the impeller and make sure there is no obstruction there. Also check the air intake hose, all the way from the tip to the end and make sure no obstructions.

morrisjtja
04-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Coralife. I took the venturi apart and ran water through the line. Then blew the water out, didn't have any resistance. No obstruction in the hose that I can see.

morrisjtja
04-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Got it working with a second deep cleaning

hooked
04-18-2016, 09:45 PM
I used to have one of those skimmers. I would have to scrape out the venture once a week where the air hose connects to the pump. I could always tell when it was plugged. The bubbles would stop.

morrisjtja
04-18-2016, 10:30 PM
I used to have one of those skimmers. I would have to scrape out the venture once a week where the air hose connects to the pump. I could always tell when it was plugged. The bubbles would stop.
Good to know. It took a lot of muscle to get that thing apart. I'm thinking it had never had a thorough cleaning before I got it.

Murfman
04-19-2016, 08:36 AM
On my old Lifereef skimmer, I used to take a drill bit the size of the venturi hole and twist it through there about once every two weeks to knock hardened debris off and keep the hole diameter the required size. The twisting was done by hand and not on a drill.

ShankStripedLyretail
04-24-2016, 09:13 PM
Have the same problem with salt creep on my HOB RO-100's Venturi definitely need a drill bit to get through that crap! I was pulling my hair out for a week before I finally broke the whole thing down and solved the problem. Glad you got it figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk