PDA

View Full Version : Purigen - My advice is to skip it

Joe
04-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Any of you use Purigen? I have been because I like multiple methods of cleaning the water. Perigean says it removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all other competing products by over 500%. PurigenŽ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds.

I use GFO, carbon, purigen, skimmer, sump with macro, and filter socks. Anyway, one of the bags ripped and now I have thousands of little perigean beads in the display. In my estimation, any benefit from it wasn't worth the cost and the mess. There was nothing that I know of that caused the bag to rip a little hole open and spill half the perigean out overnight. If you do choose to use, I would triple bag it.

My two cents.

static reef
04-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Any negative effecys yet?

Joe
04-10-2016, 05:51 PM
Nope. I've read it doesn't hurt anything. Just a pain to clean it up. I've got all my powerheads and pumps running to catching the filter socks.

Levi
04-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Snails have been known to eat a hole in the bags.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

laeris
04-11-2016, 04:28 AM
I use a knotted length of nylon stocking, works both in fresh and salt. Have yet to have any troubles with the three tanks.