PDA

View Full Version : To combine systems, or not to combine systems that is the question!

maxthedog2000
04-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Many of you know that I am just getting going in this saltwater adventure. I have a 75 gal bow front that I'm setting up as a reef tank. Recently I acquired another 75 gal tank that I will set up as a FOWLR predator tank. They will sit back to back essentially with a wall between them.

I have kept my rodi system and top off water in the cellar and kept pre-mixed saltwater for water changes. I have the space and ability to change my tank plumbing and run each tank into the cellar rather than a sump under the tank.

My thought is that I should/could do one large sump/fuge in the cellar with ato and such for the tanks to share making it all one large system. And maybe keeping it warm cuz it gets COLD down there in the winter, up side tho is that no need for a chiller in the summer!

What are your ideas/thoughts? Perhaps the only things I can think of as a problem is my cost may/will increase due to dosing larger water volume, and if I get a sick fish, coral, ect it can effect the whole system.

Let me have it! This is probably just my crazy stinkin thinkin!

Carter

Larrypueblo
04-10-2016, 11:16 AM
I would do them separately for 2 main reason ... one the predator tank will produce a large amount nutrients which you don't want in the reef and also if you need to treat the fowler tank with meds you wouldn't be able because the shared system . and i'm sure there more reason but those are the 2 that come to mind,

hooked
04-10-2016, 12:20 PM
+1. Larry hit it right on the head. Predators are very messy eaters..

Sharkboy99999
04-10-2016, 01:01 PM
That's how my system is kinda. But frag and reef. So if the u change to a reef tank then yeah it would work.