PDA

View Full Version : Adding new fish

morrisjtja
04-03-2016, 12:38 AM
How long should I wait to see if fish won't get along? Got a tomini tang tonight and my sailfin won't let it out of the corner. I shut the lights off to help calm her down which has worked so far, but I don't want to see the tomini get killed or injured by the sailfin.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

static reef
04-03-2016, 07:13 AM
Timeline is at Reefer's discretion. Feeding before introduction, lights off, rearrange rocks, acclimation boxes, and removing the sailfin for a few days are a few tips to help you out.

morrisjtja
04-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Timeline is at Reefer's discretion. Feeding before introduction, lights off, rearrange rocks, acclimation boxes, and removing the sailfin for a few days are a few tips to help you out.
Thanks, I will try the acclimation box and see how it goes.

Bernout
04-04-2016, 07:54 AM
No quarantine? Dangerous. ;)

Bernout

Coral Xpressions
04-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Usually until one or the other dies is about as long as it takes to find out

nude2saltlife
04-26-2016, 05:48 PM
How long should I wait to see if fish won't get along? Got a tomini tang tonight and my sailfin won't let it out of the corner. I shut the lights off to help calm her down which has worked so far, but I don't want to see the tomini get killed or injured by the sailfin.

I'm not sure if they will get along. Following

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

ShankStripedLyretail
04-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Not sure if this has been solved or not, but the fish are different enough they can usually live in peace together. However, they're still tangs and compete for the same stuff (space, rocks, food), so in a tank with too few resources (too small, not enough food, rock-scape etc.), they're gonna fight until one stops eating and either gets removed or dies.

I usually give fish anywhere from a week to a month. Tangs and angels are pretty quick to tell. I've heard a few people say as soon as another tang hits the water, the resident is off like a shot and being a bully. There are ways to combat aggression though, which JJ has listed :)

The only similar species I've had long-term success (1+ years) in housing together are my sailfin and hippo tangs and two clown pairs. I've recently added a damsel pair last year and all three damsel pairs plus single chromis get along alright, knock on wood. My angels are so-so after a few months, and I'm keeping a sharp eye on them. This is in a 180.

morrisjtja
04-26-2016, 09:28 PM
I rehomed the tang, it is in a 250 tank with lots of other tangs now. It was relentlessly going after the rabbits.

ShankStripedLyretail
04-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Glad everyone found some sense of peace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morrisjtja
04-27-2016, 12:16 AM
Glad everyone found some sense of peace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too :-)