PDA

View Full Version : Circulation pump shorted in tank

FireDawg56
03-29-2016, 09:16 PM
So...tonight I was sitting watching some TV and looked over at the tank and everything was closed up zoa, palys, lps, and sps, mushrooms looked like they were puking, nems looked ragged and deflated and the fish were all in hiding. I had fed about 3 hrs earlier and everything looked great. I started testing water and couldn't find anything. I finally found a circulation pump I noticed had stopped working. I went to pull the pump and got a quick shocked as it pulled it out of the tank. It was smoking at the back of the pump where the power line goes into the casing. I have not found anything else wrong. I think I caught it pretty quick but it may have been running for 30 min or so. I have never had something put wild current in to a tank before and I was wondering what I need to look for. I have read about possible release of copper in to the tank...the wild current and saltwater creates a type of plating process. Any ideas and or suggestion.

Joe
03-29-2016, 09:57 PM
Wow, glad you didn't get hurt and caught it in time. What kind of pump was it?

FireDawg56
03-29-2016, 10:27 PM
It was just an inexpensive Chinese wave maker 800gph about 2 years old

FireDawg56
03-30-2016, 03:07 PM
Update...as nears and I can tell when the pump shorted out it killed a rock covered in xenia that was about 4-6" away from it (that rock is nothing but pulp today). I am guessing they in turn released their chemicals nuking the tank thinking they were being attacked and the mushrooms responded to the chemical attack the same way. I removed the xenia from the tank, did a 20% water change and put some charcoal in the flow area of the sump. LPS's are starting to open, mushrooms are looking normal (the orange ones are a little brown) and nems are starting to look better (but not by much). For sure lost two sps frags (a pink monti I got from Rachel, and a blue acro I got from bush). I will keep watching and plan to change out the charcoal to fresh tomorrow and remove any losses as soon as I see them. All fish are doing fine and eating.

Larrypueblo
03-30-2016, 04:46 PM
wow so sorry to read this ! hope every thing works out

FireDawg56
03-30-2016, 10:21 PM
We while watching things starting to come back this afternoon I looked over the circulation pump. The entire cord from where it connected on the back of the pump to where it exited the water was calcified. Anywhere the coralline algae had grown if you bent the cord it had become brittle and snapped like a pretzel. I really had never thought to check for flexibility on my cords.

NightStar
03-30-2016, 11:23 PM
Update...as nears and I can tell when the pump shorted out it killed a rock covered in xenia that was about 4-6" away from it (that rock is nothing but pulp today). I am guessing they in turn released their chemicals nuking the tank thinking they were being attacked and the mushrooms responded to the chemical attack the same way. I removed the xenia from the tank, did a 20% water change and put some charcoal in the flow area of the sump. LPS's are starting to open, mushrooms are looking normal (the orange ones are a little brown) and nems are starting to look better (but not by much). For sure lost two sps frags (a pink monti I got from Rachel, and a blue acro I got from bush). I will keep watching and plan to change out the charcoal to fresh tomorrow and remove any losses as soon as I see them. All fish are doing fine and eating.

I know the pain, sorry to hear this. I have more of the monti, when the tank has leveled back out swing by I'll give you a new piece :)

scrumpto
03-31-2016, 05:31 AM
We while watching things starting to come back this afternoon I looked over the circulation pump. The entire cord from where it connected on the back of the pump to where it exited the water was calcified. Anywhere the coralline algae had grown if you bent the cord it had become brittle and snapped like a pretzel. I really had never thought to check for flexibility on my cords.

Probably a good time to mention this...

I killed three different Hydor powerheads by soaking them overnight in full-strength vinegar but they were really covered in coralline algae so it was necessary. Then at Macna I was given a free sample of Hydor Magi-Klean but didn't think much of it -- until I used it. Wow, stuff works great and is MUCH more gentle on your pumps. Great stuff!
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Magi-Klean-Aquarium-Cleaner-makes/dp/B0041JS1ZW

As for the cheap Chinese powerhead -- it would be easy to say "that figures" but I'm using Jebao pumps and powerheads and they're great quality. All the shocks I've received have been from used pumps I picked up from others so I only buy new now.

Glad you're okay -- that's quite a scare. Anyone know if you can rig an alarm up to an Apex Neptune for stray voltage?

FireDawg56
04-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Lost a Hammer and 2" Turbo snail today. Nems mushrooms and fish all look great again and are eating well zoes palys and pocillopora still look bad. I am not sure as to the actual item that is killing the stock and want to learn from this if I can. Was it the actual live current that passed through the tank? The chemical attacks from the xenia and mushrooms? Have any of you heard of the Copper leaching from live current in the tank (electro plating process)? Do I need to look for a copper removing filter pad or something? Or is this just going to continue until the effect of the live current is finally over? Ya I know patients patients patients LOL

Joe
04-02-2016, 11:17 PM
Hmmm poly filter might not be a bad idea to grab any metals that might have been added. Carbon and water change too.

NightStar
04-02-2016, 11:36 PM
To follow up on Joe's, what carbon are you using? They're not all created equal.

FireDawg56
04-03-2016, 05:05 PM
The carbon was Marineland black diamond I had about a quarter of a container on the shelf. I dropped it in a mesh bag and put it in the overflow of the refuge the day I did the water change.