PDA

View Full Version : Testing kits

maxthedog2000
03-27-2016, 02:14 PM
It seems I have been on an endless quest for the "right" or "perfect" or at least "most accurate" test kit available. I have read countless reviews on kits from:
Hanna Checker
Sailfert
API (personally don't like)
Seachem
Red Sea
And a few others.

I have been unable to come to any firm conclusion, outside the fact that there are benefits and downfalls to each. Perhaps, it truly boils down to user preference.

Today in my investigation I came across this very interesting article and think this would be fun to do at a meeting or as a "vender booth" for visitors at one of the annual events to have a seat and try.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/6/chemistry

Question 1: In your opinion/experience what kits or handheld metres do you like/use?

Question 2: Is conducting a similar trial listed in the article something we could do at a meeting or event?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160327/cfa0d3851b67f68110d0e232e821fd5e.jpg

Carter

Kirblit
03-27-2016, 05:02 PM
I use API for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Primarily because I never use them after I'm done cycling a tank because they become irrelevant and are cheap.
I use Hanna checker for alk because it's easy and pretty accurate against an actual titration for alk I can do at work. The other test I always liked was a Tropic Marin alk test.
I use Salifert for calcium and magnesium. They provide an obvious endpoint and again are quite accurate. I have tested them against a graphite furnace at work a few times and they are usually within a couple percent.
I use a Lamotte pH test kit sometimes, but mostly a probe.
I don't bother testing for phos much and if I do I test it at work. I don't test for anything else.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

laeris
03-27-2016, 05:38 PM
K. Sending you samples to test calibration at work :rolleyes5:

Levi
03-28-2016, 12:32 AM
I use red sea master kit and Hanna for cal, alk and phos

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk