PDA

View Full Version : Too much flow?

maxthedog2000
03-14-2016, 11:09 PM
I'm getting setup and purchased 2 of these SunSun JVP-202B 3170 gph Dual Aquarium Wavemaker Powerhead with Magnet Clamp Base for my 75 bow front. I know they are cheap, and in the future I'll get different ones but in the mean time:
1) do you think they will create too much flow for my tank?
2) place them on opposing sides and angle each impeller different?
3) do they need to be on some kind of timer or controller to alternate what side is on or how long they are on?

My overflow and return are in a corner.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

scrumpto
03-15-2016, 02:05 AM
I'm getting setup and purchased 2 of these SunSun JVP-202B 3170 gph Dual Aquarium Wavemaker Powerhead with Magnet Clamp Base for my 75 bow front. I know they are cheap, and in the future I'll get different ones but in the mean time:
1) do you think they will create too much flow for my tank?
2) place them on opposing sides and angle each impeller different?
3) do they need to be on some kind of timer or controller to alternate what side is on or how long they are on?

My overflow and return are in a corner.

I run two Jebao RW-8's in my 75 on max at 2,100 GPH and it's not too much. I actually wish they were stronger. I have them on the back wall in the corners pointing toward the front center. If you're using really fine sand you'll blow it away from the center front with this setup. Move them down a bit and point them upward a little and it might help. The Jebao comes with a controller -- no idea if the SunSun's are able to be controlled.

With powerheads that cheap I would worry about stray voltage. One of the corners they tend to cut is how well they epoxy the wires in and I've been shocked several times by cheap pumps so watch yourself. If you don't have a voltmeter to periodically test for stray voltage in the tank -- get one.

Let us know how they work as I'm always looking for cheap pumps for mixing salt, kalk, etc.

Levi
03-15-2016, 02:11 AM
I have two jebao rw15 on lowest setting on my 120 and it give easily a 1 inch wave.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk