PDA

View Full Version : FEP tubing for aquatic use?

esmith
02-25-2016, 03:30 PM
The little I'm finding online it seems to indicate this material would be almost perfect for aquarium use, but I thought I'd just ask to see if anyone else has every built anything with it or not. I have some tank plumbing I'd like to work on, but at least some parts I'd want the piping to be see through.

Levi
02-25-2016, 06:34 PM
How thick are the walls? I would be worried about longevity. You can bend clear acrylic just like fep if that is what you were wanting to do. I don't think fep will hurt the fish or anything though so I'm interested in seeing how you use it.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

esmith
02-26-2016, 10:37 AM
How thick are the walls?

You can select the wall thickness, and the tubes I've been looking at were rated to a few hundred PSI, so for a non-pressurized system I would think they'd be fine. I'm going to mock up my tank/plumbing stuff before hand to see if it will even work before I drop money on a see through version, but I'm thinking of trying to plumb 5 tanks together into one huge system with different tank styles between them. If I were going to go that route, I wanted to be able to literally watch the water moving between tanks, and at least in theory, for some of the tanks I'd like to allow for fish to travel between the tanks as well, which gives me another reason to want to see what's going on inside the tubes.

To date, I haven't see much that uses clear PVC or any other kind of transparent tubing, and have been wondering if it's a price limitation, material feasibility issue, or what.

fisher
02-26-2016, 05:43 PM
I have some clear tubing under my tank. Only problem I had was after awhile it built up a film inside of it, making it not very clear anymore. Some that was near my light in my sump grew algae inside of them. If you have someway to clean it would work great.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

esmith
02-29-2016, 11:17 AM
Keeping the tubing looking good was going to be my primary concern with going with a clear product. I have a magnetic tube cleaner that I've used in the past on smaller hoses, I thought I'd just make something similar, only sized up about 4x for the larger tubing I'd be using.

maxthedog2000
03-02-2016, 12:21 AM
I like your idea of connecting several different tanks and styles into one massive system. Are the tanks in the same room or feasibly close to do a water bridge?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

esmith
03-02-2016, 10:16 AM
I like your idea of connecting several different tanks and styles into one massive system. Are the tanks in the same room or feasibly close to do a water bridge?

Yes, all the tanks are in the same room, and about half share a higher water level, about half share a lower water level. I'm also trying to figure out if I want to make an 'escapable' sump, where there's a somewhat lower flow connection between the sump and another tank. I've found a few fish and shrimp that have made their way into the sump now, and I'm expecting that over time, others will likely end up doing the same.

I'm thinking I might need to create a low flow, secondary sump input where fish that find their way sucked into the sump can find their way back out, that doesn't involve in impeller.

maxthedog2000
03-02-2016, 05:30 PM
If the tanks are at different levels it doesn't sound like a water bridge would work [emoji53] still a very cool project and idea keep us posted with pics if you can.