PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic part frabrication? Tools?

karlinkelly
02-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Meant to spell fabrication, not frabrication :icon_smile:

Anyone know anything about acrylic part (i.e. parts for media reactors, overflows, etc.) fabrication? I'm particularly interested in what tools and equipment are required for this.

Levi
02-15-2016, 09:04 PM

Anyone know anything about acrylic part (i.e. parts for media reactors, overflows, etc.) fabrication? I'm particularly interested in what tools and equipment are required for this.

google is a great resource. really depends on what you are looking to fabricate. acrylic bender, cnc machine, laser cnc, forms, clamps, and the list goes on and on

Levi
02-15-2016, 09:04 PM

google is a great resource. really depends on what you are looking to fabricate. acrylic bender, cnc machine, laser cnc, forms, clamps, and the list goes on and on

xsocali
02-15-2016, 09:25 PM
Table saw,router,wooden jigs to hold your pieces,clamps.

karlinkelly
02-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Thanks Levi. I've googled this topic, but can't find much on manufacturing acrylic parts for aquarium equipment. For instance, if I wanted to make a base plate for a skimmer to include a groove for an acrylic tube, would I need a CNC router and a laser cutter or just one of those?

karlinkelly
02-15-2016, 09:56 PM
Table saw,router,wooden jigs to hold your pieces,clamps.

Thanks. Those make sense.

karlinkelly
02-15-2016, 09:56 PM
double post

xsocali
02-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Thanks Levi. I've googled this topic, but can't find much on manufacturing acrylic parts for aquarium equipment. For instance, if I wanted to make a base plate for a skimmer to include a groove for an acrylic tube, would I need a CNC router and a laser cutter or just one of those?
You can do that with a regular router.

Levi
02-16-2016, 01:07 AM

its tough because the jig for a router requires a center hole or peg to allow the router to rotate around giving you a circle. It can be done but for something like that, I would go to the acrylic expert Hooked aka Doyle and have him work on it for you.

Levi
02-16-2016, 01:07 AM

its tough because the jig for a router requires a center hole or peg to allow the router to rotate around giving you a circle. It can be done but for something like that, I would go to the acrylic expert Hooked aka Doyle and have him work on it for you.

xsocali
02-16-2016, 08:25 AM

You don't need a center hole.

esmith
02-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Would 3D printing parts of nylon etc. be an acceptable alternative, or are you looking for the transparency of acrylic?

FireDawg56
02-16-2016, 12:17 PM
There are quite a few good videos on YouTube on acrylic construction, techniques, tools, and materials. They really helped me before I started to work with acrylic when I built my hang on refuge.

karlinkelly
02-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Would 3D printing parts of nylon etc. be an acceptable alternative, or are you looking for the transparency of acrylic?
I'm really looking to make things out of acrylic sheet.

karlinkelly
02-16-2016, 06:57 PM
There are quite a few good videos on YouTube on acrylic construction, techniques, tools, and materials. They really helped me before I started to work with acrylic when I built my hang on refuge.

I'll check them out. Are there any specific ones you recommend?

FireDawg56
02-17-2016, 12:38 AM
This is a real basic vid on acrylic construction and an advertisement for TAP, but it does show some real good basic techniques for building with acrylic. It also recommends some tools and alternative tools if you don't have what they believe is ideal. Just keep looking you will find some one making the item you want to build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT6Ow_cBTps

karlinkelly
02-17-2016, 04:58 PM
This is a real basic vid on acrylic construction and an advertisement for TAP, but it does show some real good basic techniques for building with acrylic. It also recommends some tools and alternative tools if you don't have what they believe is ideal. Just keep looking you will find some one making the item you want to build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT6Ow_cBTps

sorry not sure why it gave me a double post and wont let me delete it either...

Good info in that video. Thanks.

Zinovate
02-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Joey king of diy on you tube shows a few tank builds on his channel.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk