PDA

View Full Version : Feeding corals

lsaint
02-14-2016, 10:12 PM
When (Time of day & how often) and How (broadcast feed) do you guys feed and add supplements to your tank?

coach
02-14-2016, 11:17 PM
I try to feed after the lights go out, about an hour or so after. Great polyp extension on the sps then.

lsaint
02-14-2016, 11:22 PM
what day?

coach
02-14-2016, 11:52 PM
Whenever. I don't really have a schedule. Maybe twice a week

static reef
02-15-2016, 12:47 AM
I don't at all. I use a broadcast means of feeding the fish for corals to eat. I have watched my slimer and other SPS grab a hold of small chunks from the water column and I have great PE.

Somewhat related topic:
-I feed pellets 5 times daily via the apex auto feeders. I have a ton of small fish that need numerous nibbles and not one massive feast.
-I rotate my daily broadcast feedings everyother day between a flake (3-4 different types) and a large mixture of meats.

When I feed flake, I do not feed enough for everyone to get full. I also make sure there is a nice mixture of large and very tiny pieces for corals. Mostly I feed flak to do a fish count/check.

When I feed meats I do not rinse it and then dump it into the tanks in front of a powerhead in a random mode to blast it all over the tank.

I do use acro power and apply it to the system with my water changes. Polyp extension is awesome to see and is a good sign of a healthy corals, but I dont feel that it is worth all of the phosphates that I add to the system other than feeding the fish. I definitely do not target feed any corals unless I am trying to train it, but that is probably laziness.