PDA

View Full Version : Filter Sock cleaning

duprst
02-03-2016, 11:07 AM
I am not sure if this is posted somewhere else in the forum. I can't seem to find it so here goes. I am wondering how people are cleaning there filters socks. What is the best way to clean them out and what are you using?

719bloodhound
02-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Inside out in the washer no soap just water

Coral Xpressions
02-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Inside out in washer with baking soda and vinegar

Larrypueblo
02-03-2016, 12:51 PM
inside out washing machine a little bleach 2 rinse cycles airdry

Joe
02-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Inside out in washer with baking soda and vinegar

Plus One. It's what I do now after using bleach and multiple rinses before. Much easier and just as clean.

static reef
02-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Pre rinse in slop sink. Inside out quick rinse w/bleach, outside in, quick rinse with no additives, air dry

Levi
02-03-2016, 02:11 PM
I like the baking soda and vinegar idea. I just flip them inside out and throw them in the washer for a full cycle on the hottest water I can set the washer at then airdry. I will do the baking soda and vinegar next time around though.

Coral Xpressions
02-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Vinegar helps a bit with cleaning and also keeps the smell down in the washer

Joe
02-03-2016, 02:29 PM
I don't mix the two at the same time. I alternate a vinegar one wash, then baking soda the next time.

Hydroid
02-03-2016, 03:34 PM
I do gentle cycle in washing machine no soap of course and a soak in hydrogen peroxide before second rinse

Murfman
02-03-2016, 05:03 PM
Rinse inside out, throw in an old salt container, with the top off(to dry) then throw them all in the washer with no soap and wash on hot.

Joe
02-04-2016, 11:02 AM
I store mine in a old salt container until wash time too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duprst
02-04-2016, 11:05 AM
I washed one of them last night with both baking soda and vinegar, it came out clean but still smelled. Did I miss something?

lsaint
02-04-2016, 12:07 PM
I thought about getting one of thees http://www.amazon.com/Stark-Electric-Portable-Compact-Washing/dp/B00HZRJVCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454609191&sr=8-1&keywords=Small+Washing+Machine

Coral Xpressions
Mine never smell fresh. A 2nd wash right side in in hot water and bleach normally does the trick if it gets bad, extra rinse

lsaint
or this one http://www.amazon.com/Panda-Compact-Portable-Washing-Capacity/dp/B00AW04ZMM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454609191&sr=8-2&keywords=Small+Washing+Machine

Just_Tim
02-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Mine never smell fresh. A 2nd wash right side in in hot water and bleach normally does the trick if it gets bad, extra rinse
+1 to bleach. I do inside out in the washer with bleach with one extra rinse after the wash cycle. Let hang to dry for a couple days.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

NightStar
02-04-2016, 02:00 PM
I must be the lazy one, lol. I don't even prerinse just throw in the washer with bleach on the sanitize cycle then chuck in the dryer. Filter socks are something I do not have time to waste on.

scrumpto
02-04-2016, 06:35 PM
I've tried numerous methods and all seem to work about the same. What I'd really like is to find 100-micron nylon mesh socks as you can rinse those out with a high-pressure sprayer and you're good to go. I've tried the 200-micron socks from BulkReefSupply.com but they're more like 300-micron and don't catch anything. Based on all my reading a 200-micron nylon mesh sock should capture more junk than a 200-micron felt sock but that hasn't been the case with what I bought. Anyone have a good source for the 100-micron nylon mesh socks or has anyone experimented with them?

Here's how I wash my felt socks and then a discussion follows.

Turn socks inside out, spray with a high-pressure sprayer to remove as much gunk as possible.
Throw them in a 5 gal bucket with a bleach/water mixture to soak until wash day. Sometimes I have to add a little bleach a week later as I notice the bucket stinks.
Throw them in the washer on hot/cotton setting with bleach.
Send them through the wash on a second cycle with oxi-clean on hot/cotton setting and extra rinse.
Air dry for about five days.

I have a lot of socks so I don't have to do this very often.

The following is based on research -- I'm no chemist!

Vinegar and Baking Soda essentially turns into CO2 gas and a mild sodium acetate solution. Lots of people are familiar with using club soda to get stains out at a restaurant so I would assume this is why it works. It seems to me it would quickly off-gas though limiting the cleaning power and leaving you with a simple mild salt solution.

OxiClean is essentially sodium percarbonate (Na2CO. H2O2), and sodium carbonate (Na2CO3). This breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate (soda ash) when dissolved in water. Hydrogen Peroxide is a powerful oxidizer (bleach) so it works well for cleaning.

From what I've read from people who have tested various cleaning methods and then inspected socks under a microscope -- the OxiClean oxidizes the junk in your socks and chlorine bleach just makes them look clean and white.