PDA

View Full Version : Cycling

morrisjtja
01-28-2016, 08:12 PM
Ok really dumb question and I'm sure you all are going to shake your heads or think I'm a complete twit but I'd like to know if your doing a fishless cycle can you use brackish water instead of full saltwater? And since I don't have to funds to continually buy RO water for the cycling could I use tap?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Balz3352
01-28-2016, 08:50 PM
Don't know about brackish. Probably not. But using tap will 1. Straight tap prevents bacteria from growing with chlorine amd chloramines etc. 2. Treated tap is going to leave and soak onto the rock a whole slue of unwanted stuff such as metals phosphates etc etc. So I'd highly recommend not using tap. Unless it's going to be a fish only system.

static reef
01-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Keep the salinity at what you want the tank to run at with livestock. The point of the cycle is to not only to get your rock and sand clean of nitrites and ammonia, but to start a culture of healthy bacterias. If you end up raising your salinity dramatically (after tour cycle), you run the rish of killing your new beneficial bacteria.

I would never use tap water strictly for the reason of contaminates to include phosphates, chlorine and numerous other particles. Bottom line is that our fish get better water than we do.

Do you have a tds meter?

morrisjtja
01-28-2016, 09:05 PM
Keep the salinity at what you want the tank to run at with livestock. The point of the cycle is to not only to get your rock and sand clean of nitrites and ammonia, but to start a culture of healthy bacterias. If you end up raising your salinity dramatically (after tour cycle), you run the rish of killing your new beneficial bacteria.

I would never use tap water strictly for the reason of contaminates to include phosphates, chlorine and numerous other particles. Bottom line is that our fish get better water than we do.

Do you have a tds meter?
No I don't have a tds meter.

morrisjtja
01-28-2016, 09:09 PM
Thanks for replying. I had a feeling that I couldn't use tap water. Ok I guess I will have to fork the money out for distilled or RO water. How often will I have to do a water change during the cycle? Once a week, twice a week? If so 20% change or more?

Just_Tim
01-28-2016, 09:25 PM
Are you doing a cycle with fish, if not there's really no reason to change the water.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

morrisjtja
01-28-2016, 10:02 PM
No fish just live rock and sand

Manchestercity
01-28-2016, 11:54 PM
Depending on the quality of your tap water you can treat it with Prime. I used treated tap water for years and as far as fish went never had a problem. I know several members who have great looking reefs and use tap water. Again it all depends on how good your tap water is. Once you start adding fish and corals I'd definitely buy an ro unit.

That's my two cents. Just test your tap for ph and phosphates

Levi
01-29-2016, 12:11 AM
Depending on the quality of your tap water you can treat it with Prime. I used treated tap water for years and as far as fish went never had a problem. I know several members who have great looking reefs and use tap water. Again it all depends on how good your tap water is. Once you start adding fish and corals I'd definitely buy an ro unit.

That's my two cents. Just test your tap for ph and phosphates

I have a gallon jug of tap water conditioner, equiv of prime that you can have if you want.

morrisjtja
01-29-2016, 12:49 AM
I have a gallon jug of tap water conditioner, equiv of prime that you can have if you want.
That would be great Levi, thanks. Atleast I can start with tap and do a few water changes with RO as it cycles then by the time it's cycled it should be all RO water.