PDA

View Full Version : Reactor media

Manchestercity
01-13-2016, 10:28 PM
Anyone ever use this stuff?
http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+8983&pcatid=8983
And do you think you could use it in place of bio pellets?

Levi
01-14-2016, 07:38 AM
I would equate this media to the ceramic rings or balls. I have those cermedia cubes in my sump and these are basically the same but designed for canister filters. If you are considering this I would go with the cermedia instead.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

static reef
01-14-2016, 09:06 AM
+1

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

FireDawg56
01-14-2016, 12:18 PM
From reading their description it would be the same as running a sand filter...not a bad thing, they don't accumulate detritus, they are one of the best media filtration systems ever invented...no they are not a nitrate factory...and they act as a buffer for any large losses in your system. I am not sure how the larger diameter media would work but as long as they are tumbling they would not accumulate waste.

Levi
01-22-2016, 09:57 AM
From reading their description it would be the same as running a sand filter...not a bad thing, they don't accumulate detritus, they are one of the best media filtration systems ever invented...no they are not a nitrate factory...and they act as a buffer for any large losses in your system. I am not sure how the larger diameter media would work but as long as they are tumbling they would not accumulate waste.

Has anyone considered running a sand filter on a saltwater system? I know they were all the rage for freshwater back in the day when I was into freshwater and for large monster freshwater systems they still use them. I think LifeGuard even has a sand filter module for their inline filter series of products.

NightStar
01-22-2016, 10:59 AM
"Undergravel" setups on saltwater are a bad idea and do turn into nitrate factories very quickly. I strongly recommend against them. That being said, I realize there are differences between a sand filter and an "undergravel" one, so I would be curious if someone has tried it.

Levi
01-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Yeah huge difference in how they work. Sand filters are essentially like media reactors that continually tumble the sand. I think I had a blue hang on the back made by Hagen that was a sand filter for freshwater.

Ehren
01-22-2016, 12:26 PM
Not quite tumbling the sand. The one we had used a separate drain under the sand bed to slowly drain a small portion of the tank water through the sand bed. It works more like the Slow Sand Filters used for drinking water in poor countries. A really slow filtration and more effective with deep sand beds and really effective against things that can be dissolved through aerobic reactions, just no anaerobic filtration so lots of Nitrates and some things can get trapped in the sand leading to hydrogen sulfide build up. It can work but like anything it has draw backs, didn't work for us.

Levi
01-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Sorry I didn't remember the correct terminology for it but "fluidized bed filter" is what I meant when I said sand filter.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard_Aquatics_FB_300_Fluidized_Bed_Filter_Flui dized_Bed-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB7631-FIFRISFB-vi.html