PDA

View Full Version : Algae scrubber vs biopellets

fisher
12-12-2015, 08:21 AM
I am about ready to need more biopellets and have been thinking about using a algae scrubber instead. Should I stick with biopellets or go with a scrubber? Any personal experiences with algae scrubbers? I have the space for one and they look easy to build.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Murfman
12-12-2015, 10:29 AM
TAS is very easy to build, bigger is better, if you have the space. As for pellets, one of the biggest mistakes users make is they have them tumbling too fast and that erodes them down, wasting them. You want the bottom to tumble slowly and the top doesn't have to move.

Coral Xpressions
12-12-2015, 01:25 PM
I run both. I run about 1/4 of the recommended amount for my water volume size and it sits right over my skimmer intake. I also have an 18" x 16" scrubber in that same sump. I've seen my phosphates drop lower than iv ever tested before by adding the scrubber. I plan to add an additional one on top of my fuge in the near future as well

719bloodhound
12-12-2015, 04:45 PM
I run both as well

fisher
12-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Great. Wasn't sure if I should run both. But if you guys are having luck I'll go ahead and try both.

Coral Xpressions
12-12-2015, 05:12 PM
If ya wanna swing by and check it out just lmk. I'm always available to show my way of doing things

scrumpto
12-12-2015, 07:03 PM
I am about ready to need more biopellets and have been thinking about using a algae scrubber instead. Should I stick with biopellets or go with a scrubber? Any personal experiences with algae scrubbers? I have the space for one and they look easy to build.

I run both. The biopellets seemed to have zero effect on my tank and after close to a year (I think) the pellets have not seemed to dissolve at all (and I tumble them pretty hard).

Conversely, the algae scrubber was the easiest thing I've ever built and had the greatest effect on my tank of anything I've ever used. No idea why I waited so long to build one! If I had it to do over again I'd build one inside an acrylic box with black ends and clear sides to keep splash contained. I've seen a build where they used those plastic boxes that they put flyers in for real estate signs and those look pretty easy.

Regardless, you can't go wrong with adding a scrubber as there's really no downside and they're cheap and easy to build.

Coral Xpressions
12-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Out side the cost of a new pump I spent ma y be $5 on parts

fisher
12-12-2015, 08:26 PM
I also haven't noticed much of a difference since I've been using biopellets for about 8 months. Thought maybe I wasn't tumbling them enough. Johnathan I'll swing by when I get a chance and check it out.

scrumpto
12-13-2015, 12:39 AM

I just piped mine off the return as I'm only using about 20% of the power of that pump. You're correct though - minimal cost and effort with great results.

scrumpto
12-13-2015, 12:39 AM

I just piped mine off the return as I'm only using about 20% of the power of that pump. You're correct though - minimal cost and effort with great results.

fisher
12-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Thanks for input everyone. Got scrubber finished last night. Splash guards are removed for picture.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151229/0e0a66dc53c3ffaff8a34cde3a0a36e1.jpg