PDA

View Full Version : Orca systems skimmer 250?

howard24
12-09-2015, 12:02 PM
I recently bought a Orca systems skimmer 250, or what I believe to be a 250 system from what I found online. The guy had it set up on a gravity feed. I plumbed it to have all inlet water going into it. Everything I have found has one outlet to the skimmer and on directly to the sump. Does anyone have any experience with gravity feeds to the skimmer? Im not sure if both will be to much flow or if ill have to replumb the system. My thoughts were to have all water going in the skimmer all water skimmed. The skimmer is rated 300-800 gallon tanks and is $1300 new. I would think it could handle flow from both outlets. Please any thought on this would be appreciated, I know most of you have way more experiences then me.

Levi
12-09-2015, 12:07 PM
I recently bought a Orca systems skimmer 250, or what I believe to be a 250 system from what I found online. The guy had it set up on a gravity feed. I plumbed it to have all inlet water going into it. Everything I have found has one outlet to the skimmer and on directly to the sump. Does anyone have any experience with gravity feeds to the skimmer? Im not sure if both will be to much flow or if ill have to replumb the system. My thoughts were to have all water going in the skimmer all water skimmed. The skimmer is rated 300-800 gallon tanks and is $1300 new. I would think it could handle flow from both outlets. Please any thought on this would be appreciated, I know most of you have way more experiences then me.

Does it have a seperate pump that is only for venturi and recirculation? If so then gravity feed would work great. If it needs a pump to put water into the skimmer then there may be an issue as I am not sure how you will get air through the venturi at enough head pressure to get micro bubbles for the actual skimming.

howard24
12-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Does it have a seperate pump that is only for venturi and recirculation? If so then gravity feed would work great. If it needs a pump to put water into the skimmer then there may be an issue as I am not sure how you will get air through the venturi at enough head pressure to get micro bubbles for the actual skimming.
There is a pump the supply air as well as a huge bubble plate, I'll see if I can get better pics of it for everyone to get an idea of what it is and how I'm trying to make it work. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/09/98685cec7fa69d8e5188fa85c98e5df6.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/09/d0885289895ab997efec249ec787d30a.jpg

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.

Levi
12-09-2015, 12:20 PM
ok that has a recirculating pump on it, so gravity feed is perfectly fine, just run a bypass so that if the flow from the tank is too much for the skimmer and you arent getting a good amount of time that the water sits in the skimmer to interact with the air, you can open a valve and let some of the water go past the skimmer.

howard24
12-10-2015, 09:01 PM
ok that has a recirculating pump on it, so gravity feed is perfectly fine, just run a bypass so that if the flow from the tank is too much for the skimmer and you arent getting a good amount of time that the water sits in the skimmer to interact with the air, you can open a valve and let some of the water go past the skimmer.
I gave it a test run tonight and it was way to much flow for the skimmer. On the way to Home Depot for the bypass tomorrow. The air tub for the recirculating pump it so loud, is there something I can do to quiet it down?

Levi
12-10-2015, 09:35 PM
I gave it a test run tonight and it was way to much flow for the skimmer. On the way to Home Depot for the bypass tomorrow. The air tub for the recirculating pump it so loud, is there something I can do to quiet it down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etl5VKq4dho

Anything similar will work. Just make sure you have 1 tube that goes in and a seperate tube that comes out. My silencer on my vertex actually has foam on the inside as well to quiet it down even further.

howard24
12-10-2015, 09:45 PM

Anything similar will work. Just make sure you have 1 tube that goes in and a seperate tube that comes out. My silencer on my vertex actually has foam on the inside as well to quiet it down even further.
Sweet as much as I don't want a pill bottle in there I'll give it a shot. Revise the idea later on. I also have some filter media I could through in there.

Levi
12-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Some pvc tube with caps not glued on and then drill a hole in each cap.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

lsaint
12-10-2015, 11:34 PM

Did you know thats Jared from MyReefToYours! Its his video

Levi
12-11-2015, 12:24 AM
That's awesome!

howard24
12-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Some pvc tube with caps not glued on and then drill a hole in each cap.

I tried a small pill bottle with filter media, it definitely quieted it down but I think something with a larger diameter would work better.

Levi
12-11-2015, 09:18 AM
I tried a small pill bottle with filter media, it definitely quieted it down but I think something with a larger diameter would work better.

I would probably use 2" PVC with ABS flat caps. Also try and match the hose diameter going in and going out or else you could get a whistle type of scenario from the smaller hose that is your inlet.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1689705909/Red-Starfish-Acrylic-font-b-Nitrogen-b-font-silencer-skimmer-muffler-6MM.jpg

See how one tube coming in and one tube coming out.. this is what you are trying to achieve.

lsaint
12-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Go down to any pharmacy and ask for a large pill bottle don't give you one for free or a very little cost that's what I did

howard24
12-13-2015, 05:34 AM
I hooked up an old creatine bottle. Works great and matches my sump white and black.