PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer thoughts?

ShankStripedLyretail
11-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Got an old lifeguard UV sterilizer (not sure of wattage I can check tomorrow) sitting in a box with some old stashed equipment. Thinking of plumbing it into my return line, but I've heard good and bad. Needs a new bulb before committing. Any thoughts on whether or not I should include it and why/not?

Thanks, guys

Murfman
11-12-2015, 10:31 AM
I added a UV, after my last ich outbreak killed everything. Sunny and her two Chromi friends are doing well and loving life! I wouldn't plumb it into the return unless you can remove it with a union and ball valve. That way, you can take it out for bulb changes and maintenance. Levi has an interesting DIY going on, making a UV out of PVC.

ShankStripedLyretail
11-12-2015, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the input, Paul, was hoping you'd chime in. I'm glad they're doing great! Not sure why 99% of my fish seem to be indestructible lol. Did the UV help with the outbreak? I also need to figure out wattage/gph ratios...

I was planning for plumbing a true union into the return line since my mom forgot that important tiny detail when she setup before. Made maintenance on the pump hell. And you just pointed out another important thing! Thanks for that, since I have a ball valve that was originally on the return. Hopefully I can hard plumb it in. I'm assuming it would go above the union to shut off back flow...

Oh I've been meaning to ask you, what is the best plumbing cement? I've seen you mention it somewhere, can't find the thread? We used purple PVC glue the last time we setup.

Levi
11-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the input, Paul, was hoping you'd chime in. I'm glad they're doing great! Not sure why 99% of my fish seem to be indestructible lol. Did the UV help with the outbreak? I also need to figure out wattage/gph ratios...

I was planning for plumbing a true union into the return line since my mom forgot that important tiny detail when she setup before. Made maintenance on the pump hell. And you just pointed out another important thing! Thanks for that, since I have a ball valve that was originally on the return. Hopefully I can hard plumb it in. I'm assuming it would go above the union to shut off back flow...

Oh I've been meaning to ask you, what is the best plumbing cement? I've seen you mention it somewhere, can't find the thread? We used purple PVC glue the last time we setup.

Kristy's Hot Blue is what I prefer to use. It is blue in color so you have to be careful or else you have blue all over your pvc. There is clear glue that is the same medium set. For our stuff either of these will do just fine, we dont have enough pressure to warrant Heavy Duty or other types of glue. The primer you can get in clear or purple, I prefer the clear myself.

Murfman
11-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Tim turned me onto the hot blue and I won't use anything else, unless I am in a bind! I let the tank go fallow for 9 1/2 weeks. I got the 1st 3 fish from you and then I got my fish from Pieces of the Ocean. Kenny (PoTO) won't let anything out of his facilities that is sick. I added the UV as a preventative measure. 5 Tangs and no issues, to date (knocking on wood). They say UV kills beneficial stuff, I still have algae growing in my tank. A lot depends on what flow rate you are running it at. Corallife tells you what GPH to set it at to get the performance you want. BTW, Levi is correct about the Corallife stainless insert rusting. (his DIY post) I will just keep it running and change out bulbs every 6 months.

ShankStripedLyretail
11-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Sweet, thanks, you two; guess I got a little more research to do. I've haven't had problems with disease after the velvet incident, but I don't want it to become a problem again... Glad all the tangs are still swimming and getting along!? I need a 300...

Levi
11-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Sweet, thanks, you two; guess I got a little more research to do. I've haven't had problems with disease after the velvet incident, but I don't want it to become a problem again... Glad all the tangs are still swimming and getting along!? I need a 300...

My DIY UV will have 100% of my water running through it for maximum sterilization. Yes UV can kill good bacteria, the issue is the bacteria you want is not really in the water column, its on the glass, the rocks, the sand etc. So it wont be going through the UV. Pods and such are large enough they can go through it without damage.

ShankStripedLyretail
11-12-2015, 12:49 PM
My DIY UV will have 100% of my water running through it for maximum sterilization. Yes UV can kill good bacteria, the issue is the bacteria you want is not really in the water column, its on the glass, the rocks, the sand etc. So it wont be going through the UV. Pods and such are large enough they can go through it without damage.

That's why I wanted to plumb to the return. I liked the idea :) and as far as bacteria goes, that sounds about right; so the UV will directly affect any free floating larvae. Probably packs a punch to anything inadvertently introduced. Probably gives the fish a chance to fight it off as well. Now if only we had a sure fire way to remove embedded cysts...

Levi
11-12-2015, 12:53 PM
the cysts are not the problem, when they hatch they are free swimming and what the UV does is basically make them infertile so that when they get ready to go back into the last stage they are not able to and they just die.

ShankStripedLyretail
11-12-2015, 01:57 PM
So you only go through one cycle...

I just like to dip/bathe my fish before they ever hit my water, quarantine and display. Hopefully if I miss anything, the UV will get it.

Your new build looks awesome btw, I hope it works out!