PDA

View Full Version : blueline 500w titanium element

greaseballpaul
11-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Added one of these bio-whatever to the system yesterday since my jager crapped out as they tend to do in my system about every two years. That's not a bad run in my opinion but since I'm eventually going over to the 6' tank I figured this presented an opportunity to upgrade with minimal explanation to the wife.

I found the unit new on eBay. Pretty sure I paid $25 shipped. That's about 1/3 retail and for a new unit that will be just about what I need in the bigger set I figured I'd try it out.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used this unit in the past and if so, what design flaws were found? What fail safes, etc.

Before everyone freaks out don't worry, I'm using the reefkeeper as a controller. It seems the blue line controllers (though I'm led and not halide so no balast interference concerns) weren't the best option. So far so good though it draws 4.5-5 amps according to the rk whe it cuts on.

Thanks for any input.

CP

Levi
11-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Added one of these bio-whatever to the system yesterday since my jager crapped out as they tend to do in my system about every two years. That's not a bad run in my opinion but since I'm eventually going over to the 6' tank I figured this presented an opportunity to upgrade with minimal explanation to the wife.

I found the unit new on eBay. Pretty sure I paid $25 shipped. That's about 1/3 retail and for a new unit that will be just about what I need in the bigger set I figured I'd try it out.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used this unit in the past and if so, what design flaws were found? What fail safes, etc.

Before everyone freaks out don't worry, I'm using the reefkeeper as a controller. It seems the blue line controllers (though I'm led and not halide so no balast interference concerns) weren't the best option. So far so good though it draws 4.5-5 amps according to the rk whe it cuts on.

Thanks for any input.

CP

I am interested to see what the 500W can do, I have 1 of the 300W on my 120 and it isnt enough, it is always running to try and get my water to 79 degrees and is only able of keeping it at or around 75 degrees. Maybe my controller is way off or my apex needs calibrated. I should borrow a thermometer like a super nice one to make sure my apex is calibrated. Outside of that I really like the idea of titanium heaters after watching a BRS video on heaters. It shows how little temp fluctuation there was in their 120g tank using different heaters.

greaseballpaul
11-03-2015, 12:36 PM
I am interested to see what the 500W can do, I have 1 of the 300W on my 120 and it isnt enough, it is always running to try and get my water to 79 degrees and is only able of keeping it at or around 75 degrees. Maybe my controller is way off or my apex needs calibrated. I should borrow a thermometer like a super nice one to make sure my apex is calibrated. Outside of that I really like the idea of titanium heaters after watching a BRS video on heaters. It shows how little temp fluctuation there was in their 120g tank using different heaters.
I tossed a glass one in the tank when the jager died to be sure my temp probe didn't get wet again. You can use one if you want. I probably have 10.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Levi
11-03-2015, 02:18 PM
I bought 6 of the digital ones and am going to take the average of all of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fisher
11-03-2015, 02:24 PM
I have a single 500w titanium reef octopus heater running a 300 gallon system in my basement. Controller is set for a 1 degree differential. Does do a better job in fluctation but does pull 5 amps. Have a second heater but haven't had to use it. Now its just a backup when the first one fails. They were about $40 each

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

greaseballpaul
11-03-2015, 02:34 PM
I have a single 500w titanium reef octopus heater running a 300 gallon system in my basement. Controller is set for a 1 degree differential. Does do a better job in fluctation but does pull 5 amps. Have a second heater but haven't had to use it. Now its just a backup when the first one fails. They were about $40 each

I've read good about the RO and finnex. Good and bad about the blueline. Most of the bad seems to be due to the controllers though.

greaseballpaul
11-03-2015, 02:35 PM
I bought 6 of the digital ones and am going to take the average of all of them

Or you could do that....

Levi
11-03-2015, 02:36 PM
I read good about blue line like you said about the element and I don't think there is much they can mess up with the element

fisher
11-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Yeah haven't used the ro controllers. I have a Ranco controller I pulled from a commercial freezer that was being demoed. Works pretty well.

greaseballpaul
11-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Yeah haven't used the ro controllers. I have a Ranco controller I pulled from a commercial freezer that was being demoed. Works pretty well.

Free is my favorite price.

greaseballpaul
11-06-2015, 10:02 PM
So far I'm happy with this thing. The temp has been very stable at 78.5-78.55. Everything in the system seems to appreciate the stability too.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Levi
11-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Awesome!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

greaseballpaul
11-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Yep. Even that blasto that looked like it would never flesh out finally has started to.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Murfman
11-08-2015, 09:25 AM
I have a 1K watt one running my 300. Been in there about 3-4 years now. Have a 500 W as a back up, should the 1K fail. I used to use the controller that came with it but that thing went nuts one day and was reading way low do it was on all the time. I control it with my AC Jr and it keeps temps around 77.8, which is where I set it.

greaseballpaul
11-18-2015, 07:48 PM
I have a 1K watt one running my 300. Been in there about 3-4 years now. Have a 500 W as a back up, should the 1K fail. I used to use the controller that came with it but that thing went nuts one day and was reading way low do it was on all the time. I control it with my AC Jr and it keeps temps around 77.8, which is where I set it.
So yours is a blueline? That's good to hear if so.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Levi
11-19-2015, 01:44 PM
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah6/Levi_Kirkpatrick/500w%20temp%20variation_zpsektqppj6.jpg

Check out that flat line? I upgraded so I had to make my selection of time less but my temp varies from 78.9-79.2 thats a total of .3 in temp variation which I think is more than acceptable for not having a chiller on the tank.

upgraded from 300w finnex titanium to 500w finnex titanium