PDA

View Full Version : Take a look at your vortech's

lsaint
10-21-2015, 09:46 PM
SO the other day I was working in my tank and I cleaned my MP-10's and I found this! It look like it was rusting too can really see in the pic. What I think happen is when i was gone for a long weekend someone in my house hit one of my mp-10's (dry side) and the wet side came off when they put it back on they did not put it on correctly and it vibrate. I seen it was not on correct about 3days after I got back and did not think anything about it.

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a524/Lsaint88/Mobile%20Uploads/20151021_213649_zpst96xo31s.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Lsaint88/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151021_213649_zpst96xo31s.jpg.html)

Coral Xpressions
10-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Any water issues come up since

lsaint
10-21-2015, 10:07 PM
I lost a few corals IDK if I lost them form this or something ells. I think the only way I could find out is to send off my water to get tested

Coral Xpressions
10-21-2015, 10:11 PM
Check what ya can and see if any difference. I'm not sure what rust I'm the water would change, initial common thought would be iron or metal increases of some sort. Maybe someone who knows better will chime in

Just_Tim
10-22-2015, 08:15 AM
While I was cleaning out my sump from the crash I found a VERY rusted #8 screw. There may be something there about excess iron and or whatever alloys are used in the rusted part.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

hooked
10-22-2015, 08:29 AM
I dropped a razor blade into my tank. Fell into the rockwork never to be seen again. Didn't really notice a bad effect from it.

NightStar
10-22-2015, 08:39 AM
Excess metals will cause corals to mysteriously die, with little other symptoms. I use these little rubber coated spring clips around my tank for acclimation, etc and a little while back one popped off and landed in the overflow without me seeing. Took a few weeks being rubber coated, but the ends aren't and it rusted and started leeching. I lost a few corals. There's very little signs to tell you it's metals poisening, but if there's nothing else then you have to try all options. Poly filter the brand ("polyfilter", not just the white filter we all use) will remove metals. It's what I ran. I also now keep a bag of cuprisorb in my sumps. While specifically designed to absorb copper they say they think it absorbs all metals and as a resin that won't leech I figure is doesn't do any harm. The one sign I saw with the metals was a weird coraline type thing. At first glance it looks like coraline but instead of being a flat and real purple this is more of a red rust colored purple and is thick and bumpy.

NightStar
10-22-2015, 08:42 AM
I dropped a razor blade into my tank. Fell into the rockwork never to be seen again. Didn't really notice a bad effect from it.

Maybe different metals have different impacts? Although I'm not sure I want to test the theory, lol.

greaseballpaul
11-03-2015, 12:22 PM
I've lost screws, bent coat hangers used as cable "mitigation" devices, even a match box car was in the sump once. Not sure of any negative impact. I'd think vortech would use titanium but if it rusted maybe it's stainless? I'm thinking maybe knowing which metal got introduced could help narrow your search for what it may cause.