PDA

View Full Version : Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on? Misfit here or Brian as some of you know me

AlaskanMisfit
09-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Hey guys, NOOOOOO freaking clue of how many of you are the same as before. My name is Brian and I have a reefing problem....

Well, I was pretty active in the community about a freaking decade ago, then I moved. Well, then I moved again, and again and maybe even again. Don't really remember to be honest.

So, I've been in Alaska again for a few year now and I'm starting a 180 build. So far, I only have the tank and I have some sand on order. I'm way out of reef shape and it's been a heavy catch up process but here is what I'm leaning so far. Please tell me if I'm stupid, wrong or a bit of both. I've liking what I see in the new dc pumps, gonna have a hard time not going that direction in Return and powerheads.

I also travel a ton for my job so I'm going to be fairly automated as much as possible. I'm leaning hard towards the Neptune Apex setup for a overall controller. I like what I see in the Ecotech g3 lights and a ASM g-4 skimmer but again, still researching hard. I will build most of my live rock again, had pretty good success with it last decade, got some better thoughts now of things to try with it.

And I guess, hey, hello Colorado.
Brian

Murfman
09-16-2015, 10:32 AM
You left, came back and then left with no goodbye! WTF????

Lucky I approved your new account today ;-P

AlaskanMisfit
09-16-2015, 03:14 PM
You left, came back and then left with no goodbye! WTF????

Lucky I approved your new account today ;-P

HAHA, sorry Paul, life is weird sometimes. Never was close to setting up another tank when I was back there but getting close now. Got the stand done last night. I'll be working on the hood tonight, not sure if I'll finish it or not. But might have the actual aquarium in place tomorrow. Then, lots of sump, plumbing and rock building to get done. Still researching skimmers, I'm all over the place now. Feel solid with getting an Apex and still haven't heard anything bad about the ecotech lights but haven't dug in yet. **** is just very limited up here so I think I'll be building my own sump and maybe getting a few part water cut for it. We shall see....

Again, my apologies Paul. ;)

Brian

Murfman
09-16-2015, 03:33 PM
I picked up a Skimz SM203 skimmer and that is DC controllable. Thing pulls a lot of junk.

AlaskanMisfit
09-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Reef Octopus ELITE 200INT Protein Skimmer with DC Pump is what I'm leaning towards right now but still aways from pulling the trigger

Levi
09-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Hey guys, NOOOOOO freaking clue of how many of you are the same as before. My name is Brian and I have a reefing problem....

Well, I was pretty active in the community about a freaking decade ago, then I moved. Well, then I moved again, and again and maybe even again. Don't really remember to be honest.

So, I've been in Alaska again for a few year now and I'm starting a 180 build. So far, I only have the tank and I have some sand on order. I'm way out of reef shape and it's been a heavy catch up process but here is what I'm leaning so far. Please tell me if I'm stupid, wrong or a bit of both. I've liking what I see in the new dc pumps, gonna have a hard time not going that direction in Return and powerheads.

I also travel a ton for my job so I'm going to be fairly automated as much as possible. I'm leaning hard towards the Neptune Apex setup for a overall controller. I like what I see in the Ecotech g3 lights and a ASM g-4 skimmer but again, still researching hard. I will build most of my live rock again, had pretty good success with it last decade, got some better thoughts now of things to try with it.

And I guess, hey, hello Colorado.
Brian

Radions are expensive but are probably one of the best leds on the market today for controllability. If you love the color of the radion but not the price, you should get in contact with Hooked as he has a custom led that he builds and it has the same blue/purple color that the radions are so famous for. The best part is they are much cheaper allowing you to spend more in other places. In reality if you buy an apex you will be able turn the lights on and off for automation.

I am an ASM fanboy, have even modded ASM skimmers with upgraded pumps etc. I love how easy they are to setup and that they just plain work. The sedra pump sucks and in my opinion needs an immediate upgrade to a Sicce needlewheel pump. I will probably never say enough good about these pumps and how great they are. I based the purchase of my newest skimmer around this pump, criteria were that either the skimmer would accept the pump with little to 0 modification or that it already used the pump. I was watching a BRS video on the Vertex Omega skimmer and it pretty much sold me. When I opened the box I was not disappointed in any way. The thing is a beast and is worth every freaking penny.

I am also an Apex fanboy but depending on how much automation you need/want and how experienced you are with this type of hardware, I would say regardless it would be worth your time to check out the new Reef Keeper Archon setup.

Check out the new cobalt neo-therm heaters, there is a BRS video on that as well. Finnex titanium are the next best thing and I believe I saw 800w ones without a controller (use the apex as the temp controller) for $40 new on Amazon with free shipping.

SpaceOps
12-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Misfit, what city are you in?

Reefkoi
12-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Wow this is a ghost from the past! Haha seems like a million years ago we were arguing about stuff on the boards lol