PDA

View Full Version : Red Algae?

jessicer
07-08-2015, 07:00 PM
I came home from work today and noticed there is red slime on my rocks and some on the glass. Is this normal for a newly cycled tank with just hermits and snails?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

HBL
07-08-2015, 07:43 PM
This is normal. It's a part of setting up a new tank. Almost everybody goes through this process and it takes time, anywhere from 2 to 6 months.

When you set up a new tank, there are a lot of nutrients freed up while your tank yet to have a mature culture of bacteria to export some of these nutrients. The Red Slime Algae (Cyanobacteria) or diatoms will likely be the first type algae you will see in your tank and they will thrive under excessive nutrients condition.

You can speed up this process a bit by running a skimmer much bigger than the recommended size for your tank and keep a solid maintenance schedule to export the nutrients. In my experience, I would still run the tank with only the clean up crew for at least 4 months for the tank to naturally creating its own mini ecosystem. This saves you a lot of headaches down the road as long as you keep up with your maintainable schedule. It will make it easier for you to keep your tank in balance in the future.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

jessicer
07-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Do you think I should do a water change?

HBL
07-09-2015, 12:25 AM
Yes, 20% water change weekly for now, then you can go bi weekly or even monthly when your tank is established.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

jessicer
07-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks!

marcslove
07-11-2015, 08:31 AM
I am cycling a small tank at the moment, and also am going through algae blooms. I am housing live rock, a small damsel, clean up crew and a leather. They all seem to be doing very well.

jessicer
07-11-2015, 09:17 PM
I am cycling a small tank at the moment, and also am going through algae blooms. I am housing live rock, a small damsel, clean up crew and a leather. They all seem to be doing very well.
How long had your tank been going?

Murfman
07-12-2015, 06:54 AM
http://www.thescmas.com/forums/content.php?174-Cyanobacteria